Light Pollution

I think street lighting in some form being provided in bigger villages is justified, particularly when (like Cunningsburgh, Voe and Brae) they have main roads running through them and safety is an issue. Ultimately, Shetland's scattered settlement pattern means that more lights over a longer distance are needed to link up main areas of housing with the local shop, school or whatever if the Council decides thats what it wants to do.

I don't think there's any reason for community buildings or facilities to be lit up all night though and surely the Council needs to think more sensibly about the type and number of lights they put in when a new lighting scheme is justified. Both the daytime and night time impact of overly long stretches or large numbers of ridiculously high lamp posts have ruined some places in Shetland in my opinion.

In the winter the lights at the council houses down the road from my folks house are on and off every time it comes on a heavy shower which is a ludicrous waste of electricity, particularly if it is the case that the starting phase is the most costly. Even if it isn't, I'm not sure how well sensor controlled lights would work with fast moving triggers (i.e. cars), with stuff blowing about in a Force 10 gale or because they take so long to fully light up - or if the added cost of installing new lights would pay for the electricity they might save.

The Council do seem to be introducing more energy efficient lights which direct light downwards as opposed to outwards though and most of the bigger villages in Shetland which might justify major new pavement/lighting schemes have probably all been done now.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

It was on the bbc news dastreen that the eiffel tower in paris isna going to be permanantly lit up like a christmas tree any mair , every body is turning on to turning off and no afore time.

I think it's time for da council , businesses and the general public to try and get together ( a meeting ) and try to get every body to tune in and turn off mair gaer.

Travelling Scotland I found street lights always helpful just to remember me that the 30 mph limit (as for built up areas!!!) applies to all traffic on unclassified roads in Scotland unless signs show otherwise.

... so I didn't have to look out for these tiny roads signs sticking somewhere here or there ... lights on = 30 mph ... finished ;-)

A fine example of new vs old lights is the West burrafirth pier. The new ferry ramp has reasonable lights that entirely face down and the bulbs cannot be seen from the Snarraness road (above). The old lights light everything to near vertical.

Being a bit of a star gazer at times, the subject is brutally brought home if you take any night photographs in country areas. The pollution from old style street lamps will light a whole valley, in time-exposure, in a similar fashion to the driving range floodlights. The vertical radiation from Lerwick, Scalloway, Sandwick, Aith, Brae etc, and notably SVT can be seen photographically(word?) from 25 miles away. It's rather annoying to say the least.

Guest Anonymous

yes watched the news tonight , 2000 odd of the worlds scientists say if we dont radically change our ways we will have some trouble.

And yes the eiffel tower was switched on again in the background , so the french are surely no taking it that seriously.

I think dis might be the time to buy sheres in rubber boots and am also going to try and get a grant fae the development trust to buy a gondala fur boat rides up an doon commercial street.

Motion sensor lights are already in operation.. and I expect they will become more of the norm in certain areas, as systems are replaced over time.

At the moment they have been used at Harbour street/Market street car park and from what I have experience work very well.

Most of the country bus stops like quarff and nesting junction use a similar system.

• 7 months later...

(mod edit - new light pollution thread merged with existing thread)

As the evenings draw in we can see how busy the light erectors have been over the summer. The Brae Sailing Club has a splend new harbour (marina), but what has black listed it for me is the sodium street lights that are on all night.

I seem to recall a bit of a campaign a while ago about this type of problem and even da council saying they were looking into it. Anyone in the know?

The newly refurbished streetlights along the Port Arthur road in Scalloway are brilliant, in their lack of brilliance! :wink:

Due to a new design of 'head' on them: They only shine down, the bulbs can only be seen from below and the hill behind them remains black.

As a step in the right direction i applaud whoever chose them.

• 3 years later...

I can see an orange glow in a few places in the distance from the road/street lights, and the farm buildings (no animals in them) have lights on outside all night! Even the houses around leave security lights on.

Is this endemic to Shetland?

I realise some lucky folk will be out of site from other houses, but even in the sticks I have to block lights to see the stars :(

(*** mod - merged ***)