Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

^^^That chestnut's been on the go since forever, Pooks! Or, at least since I was there.

I got my job there at the end of July 2005, and it was a few months after that when I first heard they were planning an expansion. No, hang on, it was at interview that my boss told me that. By the time I left to go to uni in mid September 2006 they were still muttering about it but hadn't started anything yet.

Tesco might alter that, though?

Tesco will definetly try to alter that. They're a multinational corporation with literally millions of spare monies lying around.

You never know, we might even have a butcher (again), pharmacy fishmongers and café.

They'd be closed for 6 weeks for some of the following reasons:

Staff training

New systems

New store layout

Possible new store facilities

Moving the cash office from the front to the back of the building

Possible expansion

Replacing tills

They're are many reasons why they would need to close. Six weeks was just the rumour from within the store today.

I heard that the original planning application for the building included petrol pumps. How true this is, I don't know.

Almost certainly they're going to match local prices, however. I can't really see them doing otherwise, frankly.

Does anyone know whether Tescos will open up a petrol station and if so will that price be the same as the mainland ??

Silvercloud

It's unlikely they will match the mainland prices, they bulk buy fuel from abroad (spain if memory serves) so they still have to get it onto the isles which is an additional cost they will pass on to the consumer. They're not substantially cheaper than the petrol stations at the moment the supermarkets are charging almost the same as Shell and Esso in Aberdeen. In the past they were nearly always 2p a litre cheaper.

Guest posiedon

We are being ripped off here in Shetland over the price of fuel, as Boogaloo pointed out in this thread.

In Aberdeen the same Kerosene 28 costs 41.96 pence/litre.

However, when I phoned a supplier in Shetland yesterday the very same Kerosene 28 costs 46.7 pence/litre.

This is where the differential in fuel prices in Shetland gets rather interesting - if not darn worrying!

The average price of unleaded petrol in Aberdeen is 101.3 pence/litre

Ref: www.petrolprices.com

....whilst the price of unleaded petrol in SHETLAND is 115.9 pence/litre

Both Kerosene 28 and Petrol is shipped in from Scotland - so WHY is there such an enormous differential or price gap between these two types of fuels?

These prices are about 6 weeks out of date now, but the principle still stands. Why is Kerosine only around 4p dearer here than south, yet petrol is nearly 15p dearer, they both come up on the same boat, presumably at the same transport cost.

Go back and read this thread.

To get back on topic, I think Tesco will be bad for lerwick, I have seen them "virtually" take over small towns down south, price all the established shops out of business, and then do as they please, they certainly wont get any business from me.

Its great tesco is coming i hope they give us a good service and shake up the fat cats , i dont care who they upset as long as the customer gets value for money , we have paid over the odds far too long now so welcome tesco