Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

is just a nicer more open place to work. but will even better when they get their new windows. the only way to compare is to wait and see what tesco's extension works out like. i liked there polish food apart from the fat spread. but they deem to have ran that down. will be intresting to see how they deal with the weather delays over winter.

the co-ops computers were playing up yesterday they could not take electron and some other debit cards which is fine it hapens. what annoyed us was that there attitude stank it seems its our fault that we only have only one debit card, when the wife asked why could they not have put a note up warning you of the fault instead of waiting for you to go through the checkout and then get refused. they said we were one of only half a dozen that it had affected so it did not matter. well by the end of the day it would have been a more. well we will of course now we will be using tescos more as we dont matter to the wonderful co-op.

^^ Same thing happened to us. The extremely friendly check-out lady (where did she come from??) explained that a few banks were having troubles with their card machines and that it wasn't their fault, although, she explained, she had got a lot of grief off people thinking it was the Co-op's fault. We just patiently waited for a supervisor to come over and do his magic button pressing thing, and no one in the queue seemed bothered at all. In fact, we had quite a little giggle over it for some time as the woman had explained that it was something to do with "electrons" at the banks end, which immediately made my partner and I think that the whole bank stability was crashing on a atomic level.

Other than that, it was the first time since the refurbishment that I'd been in the Co-op (don't get into town much) and I really, really liked it. The prices seemed much better as well... sooo much fruit was only £1! I am going to continue shopping there instead. My trusty old Co-op with a new face :)

Tesco and the Co-Op are not the only shops in Lerwick with " Grumpy" faces...I have been in some of the shops that if they cracked a smile their face would fall off.....

One of the biggest offenders was so disinterested in my enquiry about a sale that i just walked out and bought it on-line...

I am all for supporting the local shops but find it very off putting when

the staff dont seem interested in helping you make a sale....

I am always aware that shop staff should be treated with courtesy and a Goodmorning/afternoon smile and I am always polite just a shame that some of them cant reciprocate......after all If they want the business they could at least try....

Other shops in Lerwick manage it well It cost nothing to be nice....

^^ Same thing happened to us. The extremely friendly check-out lady (where did she come from??) explained that a few banks were having troubles with their card machines and that it wasn't their fault, although, she explained, she had got a lot of grief off people thinking it was the Co-op's fault. We just patiently waited for a supervisor to come over and do his magic button pressing thing, and no one in the queue seemed bothered at all. In fact, we had quite a little giggle over it for some time as the woman had explained that it was something to do with "electrons" at the banks end, which immediately made my partner and I think that the whole bank stability was crashing on a atomic level.

Yep - same thing used to happen at Somerfield.

Visa Electron and Solo cards are "on-line authorisation only" which means that stores are unable to override the system and allow the purchase to go ahead. Interestingly I have known people take the same card to the cashpoint at Bolts to draw out cash to pay for their shopping which to my mind means that on those occasions the fault was with the Co-op's system rather than a general failure affecting all card processing from Shetland.

That said if the Co-op becomes aware that they cannot accept Electron or Solo cards then they should immediately announce this to customers on the tannoy and place a big sign in the entrance.........not the handwritten scrap of paper I have sometimes seen in the doorway.

Of course best advice for Electron/Solo customers is to draw out cash before shopping.

the co-ops computers were playing up yesterday they could not take electron and some other debit cards which is fine it hapens. what annoyed us was that there attitude stank it seems its our fault that we only have only one debit card, when the wife asked why could they not have put a note up warning you of the fault instead of waiting for you to go through the checkout and then get refused. they said we were one of only half a dozen that it had affected so it did not matter. well by the end of the day it would have been a more. well we will of course now we will be using tescos more as we dont matter to the wonderful co-op.

We got hit by this as well. It was just another blow on an already bad day (had a toothache from hell and had just been to the dentist trying to get it sorted to no avail) So when the very unhappy cashier told us we couldnt use the card and asked if I had another and I replied no, I was told I should go to the cashline at Bolts... which I did moaning in agony the whole way, only to be charged 2£ for the pleasure and to return to the co-op to said unhappy cashier to get not even a smile or a thanks for understanding. Anyway I think from now on I will only go in with cash when I have no other choice. I was not impressed at all with the service or the lack of explanation as to why my card wasnt accepted. And here I was thinking the co-op has certainly improved and was a much better shopping experience now. :roll:

I have a beef about the Shetland TESCO operation....stock and order control appears to be as bad as it was under the Somerfield flag....

case in point...

Why is Warburtons bread the first to go off sale every day week in week out?

If the Grocery Manager records that the product is off sale at a given point in the trading day and Hovis and Tesco brand bread is still sitting on the shelves...for goodness sake use a bit of savvy and adjust future orders to extend the sale life of an off sale product!

ps. i don't have shares in Warburtons bakery i just think it is the best bread on a supermarket shelf.

Sal

May cost them more. so they stock there profit leaders more.

ive just bought half a pig from the whiteness butchers. £80 for 30kilos about 2.30 a kilo. looked in Tesco's and saw 3 pork chops for a bit under £4 and Co-op were no cheaper. SO if whiteness can supply pork thats been cut up boned and rolled plus sausages for the £2.30 why cant the supermarkets. by the way very nice meat to.

Surely Shetland baked bread is better than anything sent up by boat, be it Warburtons or Hovis. Is Malcolmsons and Blacks still in business?

Malcomsons, Sandwick, Voe and Walls bakeries all supply bread to town shops but there is no imagination in their baking. No decent crusty bread, no rye bread, no multigrain such as the supermarkets sell. Just the same bread every week. Same with cakes.......no decent variety. All of them need to wake up and produce what the consumers want.