Shaetlan Wird o' Da Day

Njugle

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another interesting one is 'baenwark' or 'bonwark', which means the pains associated with having flu or such.

Well, "wark" at least has a parallel in the Norwegian "verk", meaning "ache". Perhaps "baen" could refer to "bone" ("bein" in Norwegian)? ...boneache?

flit, flittit - to move

The root of the same word in Norwegian is "flytt".

fin, fan, fun - to find

win, wan, wun - to win, attain

tak, took, tuin/taen - to take

That looks very familiar:

Ã¥ finna - finn [finner] - fann - funne/funni

Ã¥ vinna - vinn [vinner] - vann - vunne/vunni

Ã¥ taka - tek [teker] - tok - teke/teki

Gooster is is a strong wind and Gyndagooster is above that - a storm.

In Faroese, "gjóstur" means "wind through an open door or window". I guess it´s the same word as shetland "gooster".

We have this in Norwegian as "gust", from the Old Norwegian "gustr".

towe - rope

wale - select[

We have that as "tau" and "Ã¥ velja".

Geng backlings - reverse

Dis is an expression I mind fae my youth dat you dunna seem tae hear nooadays

GÃ¥ baklengs in Norwegian :)

You can get close than that in Norwegian. In Modern Norwegian (nynorsk) you can write "ganga baklengs" as well.

Another interesting one is 'baenwark' or 'bonwark', which means the pains associated with having flu or such.

Well, "wark" at least has a parallel in the Norwegian "verk", meaning "ache". Perhaps "baen" could refer to "bone" ("bein" in Norwegian)? ...boneache?

The Faroese word for flu is "beinkrím".

"Beinverk" means having pain in your bones, both associated with flu, but also in a broader sense.

The Faroese word for flu is "beinkrím".

"Beinverk" means having pain in your bones, both associated with flu, but also in a broader sense.

Yes, that is what I thought as well. Good, we seem to have solved that one then. :)

staand = male erection: http://sh.shetlanddictionary.com/index.php?title=Shetland_Words:S

The Faroese word for erection is "standing" and I can´t find any scandinavian equivalence to it; so it´s obvious that the Shetland word "staand" was introduced into Faroese. Or was it the other way around?

This might suggest what business some Shetland fishermen of the last centuries had, while in Tórshavn. :oops:

It's not quite clear, had the Faroemen borrowed this word from Shetlanders, it would well have been stand or standur, but it's standing instead. In Icelandic the corresponding word can include '-staða' of the same root. I think it's natural that the word for erection is derived from the root that means 'stand up', so I believe there's been an independent development of these terms in Shetland and the Faroe.

It's not quite clear, had the Faroemen borrowed this word from Shetlanders, it would well have been stand or standur, but it's standing instead. In Icelandic the corresponding word can include '-staða' of the same root. I think it's natural that the word for erection is derived from the root that means 'stand up', so I believe there's been an independent development of these terms in Shetland and the Faroe.

I don´t know what Icelandic word includes "-staða" but it looks to be a relative to the Faroese "reður-støða" (erection), "-støða" being the same as Icelandic "-staða", which are equivalences to "stå" in Norwegian.

I know it´s the same root, but "staand/standing" seems to be more "insular" Shetland/Faroese, and looks more related to English/Scots than the former "-staða/-støða/stå". That was my point.

I don´t know what Icelandic word includes "-staða"

Reðurstaða, also reising.

but it looks to be a relative to the Faroese "reður-støða" (erection), "-støða" being the same as Icelandic "-staða", which are equivalences to "stå" in Norwegian.

I know it´s the same root, but "staand/standing" seems to be more "insular" Shetland/Faroese, and looks more related to English/Scots than the former "-staða/-støða/stå". That was my point.

I don't think so, the verb standa does exist in Faroese, standing from standa is just one of the many examples about the suffix -ing: dálka > dálking, kappa > kapping, lækka > lækking ofl.

Originally there was only standa in Scandinavian languages. The form stå appeared due to influence from gå 'to go' < ganha (as a parallel form to ganga), and/or by is corresponding Low German form, comp. German stehen (where the same analogical process from gehen must have occured). So that's the kind of relation which exists betweem standing/stand and stå.