Shaetlan Wird o' Da Day

Njugle

Ah'm I med onybody paranoid?

Onywye,

Benkled

Dis a Shaetlan wird?

Funny ting is dat som o my Aussie friends spik aboot a "denkle" fur da sam ting. As in "dirs a muckle denkle athin me car".

My wird da day is "platch" - "He geed platchin tru da rig".

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny ting is dat som o my Aussie friends spik aboot a "denkle" fur da sam ting. As in "dirs a muckle denkle athin me car"

Paap:

Lithuania öses da sam wird as Shaetlan fir paap. Da ony odds atween dem is at Lithuania spells it wi an "Ä" which is der equeevilant o "aa" and dee add an "ai" on da end tae pluralize him, i.e. "pÄpai". Lookin athin da dictionary I see at da singular vershun is pÄpas which wid mak him masculine. :shock: He's raidder infoarmal or even coorse in his usage.

Re your point about the Shetland Word magnets - perhaps they could rename them - Shetland Words with Added Pronouns. ;)

I'm just going through this thread now and I found a few references to the Shetland dialect word magnets... I just want to point out that on the header card it says "Shetland dialect" and then magnetic words. They were all picked out by Shetland Forwirds and yes, there are pronouns, and nouns, verbs and adjectives... enough to make proper sentences with!

Incidentally.... someone mentioned the Scot's dialect words.. you didn't happen to sell them on a fridge in Lerwick? I bought a second hand fridge from someone with all those magnets and still have no idea what an "ass-cockle" is. I can only assume it is a haemorrhoid?

Incidentally.... someone mentioned the Scot's dialect words.. you didn't happen to sell them on a fridge in Lerwick? I bought a second hand fridge from someone with all those magnets and still have no idea what an "ass-cockle" is. I can only assume it is a haemorrhoid?

Not guilty. :) I hadn't heard of an "ass-cockle" but it seems it is pimple.

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/links/lists/scottish.html

Good luck with your stuff! :D