Should the obese pay more on air flights?

Styles

Should the obese pay more for airflights?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should the obese pay more for airflights?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=493023&in_page_id=1770

"Obese airline passengers should be charged a 'tubby tax', health experts proposed.

Under the plans, they would be made to pay for each kilo they weigh above a set limit, in the same way as excess baggage has to be paid for.

Dr John Tickell, an expert in nutrition and weight control who heads the Australian team making the proposal, said: "Airlines are buying fuel and if you are carrying a heavy weight on a plane it is you who should be paying for it.

"But instead, the rest of the public is paying for it and it has to be stopped."

Expanding waistlines mean airlines are being forced to revise their projected passenger loads to calculate extra fuel needs.

Dr Tickell's plan is to be studied by the Australian government. He has not set exact weight limits.

Dr Tim Gill, head of Australia's Obesity Society, said it was unfair to single out those with weight problems. Instead, airlines should install a few extralarge economy seats for obese passengers."

I think its only fair that those over a set weight should pay more, I have had the misfortune of being sat beside someone who was really fat and spilled over into half my seat, very unpleasent.

Plus it is unfair if you weigh a normal weight and have to pay extra for heavy luggage if someone who is really heavy can carry that as fat and dont have to pay.

With the country getting more obese and Scotland being really bad, somthing has to be done, as it is now shown to be one of the top factors for bad health and hence a huge burdon on the NHS and economy.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A proposed weight limit has not been set? I wonder why!?

How do you decide who is over weight???

Can you imagine international rugby players turning up at check in and being told that being over 17stone (for example) means that they have to pay extra.

Being a heavy human being doesn't necessarily mean you a fat git. The body mass index isn't recognised as being fool proof either.

How about waist line measurement limits? Or the size of your feet? Do you have wide pointy elbows? Do you smell bad? Are you a annoying bore of a person that never shuts up? Flying ecomony has an inherant risk of uncomfortability.

Out of 200 people on any flight it's the average weight that is used for payload purposes, should a light person pay less for their seat even though they are taking up an entire seat? One heavy person does not cost any other person anything because somewhere on that plane wil be a lighter than average person to balance things out.

It's unworkable.

sat next to a few obese folk on flights and it is not my idea of a good time, obesity is a curable problem it it all works by ratios the ratio of your bum hole to your cake hole as your bum hole is a lot smaller than your cake hole filling the cake hole to capacity means the bum hole can't possibly keep up, it's got to go somewhere!

Didn't the independent report that Obesity actually makes you live longer? I can't find the article but I remember reading it on the cover.

So if they're living longer than us, they're paying more tax than us anyway so we don't need to charge them more on flights.

Some people are born into fat families and ARE naturally wider/fatter (even trying to lose weight won't change their shape)

I saw that (independant) article and being fat is good for you!

That is an excuse. I think anyone can lose weight by eating less and doing more exercise.

However, it's not helped with American companies like K.F.C. Advertising a bucket full of crispy fried chicken. What next a bloody trough full of the stuff!! Not too mention the 1litre coke to wash it all down after you have been grazing from your bucket.

What happens if you are 6'7" and built like a brick turdhouse and you weigh 18 stone, not obese but in proportion to your height, but still a lot heavier than an "average" person.

Would a pregnant lady be classed as obese, as she will be good and fat with a huge ass an weigh more than some skinny persons.

Would the obese be able to offset the weight differance by not being allowed so much luggage. What if you were an obese dwarf but only weighed the same as a "normal" person due to only being 3 and a half foot?

If this were to go ahead on planes, i assume it will only be a matter of time before it will apply to other forms of transport, ie, taxi's, busses, trains, ferry's, blah,blah,blah

Some people have too much time on their hands if this is the sort of crap that they come up with.

By the way, sheepshaggers explanation,

sat next to a few obese folk on flights and it is not my idea of a good time, obesity is a curable problem it it all works by ratios the ratio of your bum hole to your cake hole as your bum hole is a lot smaller than your cake hole filling the cake hole to capacity means the bum hole can't possibly keep up, it's got to go somewhere!

Pure class, i think sheepshagger has hit the nail on the head with that one...

try sitting next to the obese person for 24 hours on a long haul flight, when I say sitting next to I actually mean sitting underneath them as some manage to overflow their own seat and swamp yours as well even in business class. I would have no problem with pay as you weigh for flights

obese folk are not good for themselves and not good for the environment.

they are using resources that could keep several normal sized folks in existence why should the rest of us pay higher taxes in the cause of environmentalism when chunky uses more resources than me takes a lot more fuel to transport than me is a bigger drain on the national health service than me, forget immigrants lets deport fatties.