Should the obese pay more on air flights?

Styles

Should the obese pay more for airflights?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should the obese pay more for airflights?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It matters not what hole you talk from

Apparently not! But may I recomend the one nearest the brain - less chance of communication getting muddied or offensive over distance travelled. Unless of course you have turd-for-brains, then just go with the flow and let it pour from the nearest exit. :twisted:

(gratuitous use of emoticons indicating humour intended) :lol:

I have said for years, that obese people should pay more for flights; if I weigh 7 stone, and someone else on the same flight weighed 21 stone, then why should I get charged for excess baggage if my suitcase is over the allowance?

They have tried to discourage smokers by banning it from public places.

They have banned the sale of Size 0 jeans to try & discourage people being thin... now I cannot buy a pair of jeans that fit, legally, so have to go around looking like Baloo out the Jungle Book!

They should ban the sale of all clothes over L or size 18 accordingly- fair's fair...

By allowing larger sizes in clothing to be sold openly, they are sending the message that it's ok to be obese...

I accept the point about taller people; Obesity should be medically determined using the BMI and body fat measuring.

Yes, I know naturally larger people would not then be able to buy clothes that fit even though they are not obese... but... neither can we.

{Does anybody ken a black market supplier of Gap size 0 jeans??}

^^^

If your clothes are so small why do you have excess baggage - that's just greed! :wink: Only kidding...

As I said earlier, one overweight person doesn't have a bearing on the cost of your seat or how much baggage you can take. It's the average weight of the populous that is used.

Your ticket on the plane costs what it does because you are taking up a seat to your self, in just the same way that children have to pay full fare if they need their own seat and they can be very light.

The problem is that the general population is getting heavier which means the average weight used to calculate payload will go up. And baggage will have to make way.

BMI is not a very good way to measure these things though, I knew a extremely athletic bloke with a very low percentage of body fat that was, according to the BMI, obese. Totally rediculous. But that's what happens when you go for height versus weight. Body fat measuring machines are all good and well but does a short person that's fifty percent fat get on at normal price because they are still lighter than the average - compare that to the tall person that is 20 percent fat but balloons way over the average. That's is unfair on the tall person....

I agree with you regarding the clothes industry, if they are self regulating themselves with a view to making size 0 unfashionably unhealthy then the plus sizes have to been frowned upon too. It always annoys me when a particular advert comes on that is by a company that only does the 'big-uns'. It is totally saying - ''Look at this, aren't we great! It's fine to be big, there nothing wrong with it and if you like our clothes perhaps you should stop exercising to fill them out fully.''

:roll:

I agree that obesity is a huge problem and something has to be done, but airline tickets that vary according to weight will be hard to justify in a court of law.

Guest Anonymous

Speaking purely as a fat b**s**rd,,,,

If I travel with my other half who is smaller than tiny, does that mean we could be accepted as two average people, as our combined weight would be less than 20 stone??????

I just had a vision in my head of a new security setup at big airports: In the same way they have frames near check-in for you to see if your hand luggage will fit in the overhead lockers - there could be different sized metal detecting archways. You have to fit through different sized archways to board a plane. Filtering out the fatties and grouping all the thin people together.

Of course, all that will acheive will be some planes pinned full of hundreds and hundreds of thin people sitting in tiny seats and other planes with a couple of dozen fat folk wedged together like cattle - proping each other up.

Currently thin people are getting seats designed for the average person, should they pay more for the luxury for proportionarly larger seats???? Now there is a question :!: :D

Speaking purely as a fat b**s**rd,,,,

If I travel with my other half who is smaller than tiny, does that mean we could be accepted as two average people, as our combined weight would be less than 20 stone??????

pay is du weighs so it wid work oot, du cud maybe even fit her in de hand luggage if shu's dat peerie, dae dunna weigh it an den du'll save turdloads, :lol:

Maybe all the UFOs, seen in the US are low flying planes, with gut buckets onboard. How about people who are Anorexic. Once you get below a certain weight , will the airlines have to pay them money to fly with them. How about white people in the front and black people in the back. There might even be some who are over weight who think that all skinny people are abnormal. Maybe all left handed people can only sit in the right hand side of the any plane? Picking on over weight people, is no different than any other type of bulling at a school. What’s next ban them all from working or shop them to the police for looking at you in a funny way. This is just another version of racism and Bigotry. How about putting them all in concentration camps. It’s nice to see people with Napoleon or Hitler complexes, who wish for the perfit race. is still living in our communities

Airlines are robbing us blind as it is!

Why should we let them start robbing certain people even more so?

As has been said here already, the system is unworkable. A 2 year old is the point where they start charging for a child and 12 is classed as an adult. Will they reduce the fare for them?

Theres loads of people who are going for a short trip and have very little luggage. Will they get a discount?

They've got to realise that their customers who keep them in business come in all shapes and sizes and sort their seating arrangements to suit the demand.

They already take seating arrangement/customer ability into account on each and every flight where they place ideally youngish/fittish/maleish/english speakingish persons in the roomy seats at emergency exits. there's no reason they cant have roomier seats for people who need them and allocate these seats as they 'weigh up' customers at check in too.

Are they seeing an opportunity for what they might see as an easy target here? After all, they do incur extra costs handling passengers in wheelchairs, but if they suggested charging extra for disabled people, that might just make them look bad and we couldn't have that could we?

if greed is a disability then we will have to stop all this harasment of capitalists, there will be no more lawyer jokes, how far are we to go with this train of thought. Obesity is down to greed pure and simple if it is glandular like some folk claim then it is simple they need less to survive so why carry on shoveling fodder into the mouth once that point is reached?

Sheepshagger, i take it you are not overweight and none of your immediate family/friends are either because if you/they were you would see how comments like yours really hurt some folk and it is nothing short of bullying. I am overweight and am doing something about it but I also have serious medical issues which have caused some of my problems. I also have skinny/normal height/ weight ratio relations and I wouldn't expect them to pay more tax for doing normal everday things like going on a plane so why the hell should I?

obesity is caused by an excess of calories and a lack of excercise if you are unable to exercise due to a physical disability then you have my full sympathy but there are 2 parts to it and the excess calories can be reduced simply and effectively by not eating them in the first place.