Which Island of Shetland is the best?

JAStewart

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't comment on Papa Stour or Out Skerries as I haven't been, but I would say Foula's definitely worth a visit, as is Fair Isle.

However, I vote for Mainland as it's where most of my friends and relatives stay, and it has more places of outstanding natural beauty. I would have great difficulty in getting there without a

ferry. :wink:

Personally I like Whalsa and Burra, but I'm ruling Burra out of this island debate because its joined to the mainland through trondra by the bridges.

I mean islands that need ferries to go to them.

Absolutely no bias involved with those choices either I daresay. :wink:

I've only ever bothered going to Yell, Unst and Bressay, and didn't find anything there any better than anywhere else, so I'll abstain until I try the rest.

Fair Isle without a doubt ! Ive never been anywhere in shetland that makes you feel as welcome as fair isle does.

Whalsey - visited whilst out on holiday touring shetland, very unimpressed, its like someone picked up fraserburgh & dumped it up here, its not an island, its a mini housing estate.

Hopefully manage to see 3 or 4 more next year.

The outposts, of course (in alphabetical order :wink: ): Fair Isle, Foula and Out Skerries ... :lol:

Papa Stour ... easier to reach ...

Nevertheless, as a tourist I would guess that many places are understimated by local Shetlanders:

Noss, Vementry or Muckle Roe (though linked by bridge, too) also are great places for a lovely day oot ... :wink:

Whalsay withoot a doot!

Might be biased here and I can understand fairislefaerie's comment, if you're just visiting and having a quick run around the isle it could seem like a fishing port/building site, but when you explore the isle and spend time there, you really canna beat sitting in brough watching the sunset ower linga on a fine summer night, or looking down on the brough kirk. That has to be the best kirk setting in Shetland. I'll never forgive the Lighthouse board for taking away the lighthouse and plonking some obnoxiuos steel structure across the houb though!

Have to admit theres plenty of competition on this one, and there's still places i've not been, but Whalsay does it for me.