Should football use technology?

EISTnWAST

Should football use technology?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should football use technology?

• Yes, make full use of everything at our disposal
    • Yes, but use technology for goal line decisions only
    • No, I don't want the beautiful game ruined

I don't follow tennis either, but saw that the first time the other day, and thought it was an interesting way of using the technology without slowing the game, and making it self-policing to an extent as you need to be sure before you risk one of your calls.

I'd see it as the ref calling things as normal, with no change, and the managers free to ask him to review any decision at all..... but just 3 times a game say.

"Come on, the guy dived!".... OK, do you really want to use a call on that?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the manager says "Yes. I can't condone cheating". The replay is looked at and the player gets a yellow card. Problem is that it was the manager's third call that game. His team lose 1-0 due to a goal which is shown on TV to be marginally offside.

Using video replays to look at diving would be a huge problem with using technology. It is very difficult for referees to be sure when players are diving. A good diver will do it when he has his back to the match officials (not that I've ever dived to con a ref :shock: ). I'm sure if technology was to be used for this then the ref would frequently be proved wrong. So limiting the number of times a manager can look at replays, is the same as asking him what mistakes he is willing to put up with.

• 1 year later...

***Mod edit, topics merged as there is already a thread on this topic***

After da blatant cheatin by thierry henry danite, i'm wonderin if idder fokk tink its time dat FIFA introduced video technology inta fitbaa?

it works in loadsa idder baa sports (rugby union, rugby league, tennis, cricket, etc) so why no????

i agree that it was a absloute farce that that was not givin but i dont agree that video technology should be used as the game would be slowed down to much

plus two officials who were having a stormer were both looking right at it, i think it could have had something to do with it being in france them being the bigger side uefa cheif in the stadium ( a frenchman who asked fifa for the rules to be changed to a seeded draw and guess who were best off when that happend) you know little things like that :lol:

but what is it with all these guys well some fomer pros well saying if anybody was in that postion they would do it end of the day it comes down to the person as somebody who dose play i wouldnt have done it there is a line a person has to choose and teddy henry showed his true arsenal roots dive cheat and dont care who you f*ck over as they have done through the years eduardo springs to mind fiberglass the same with darren fletcher oh and am not a united fan just incase it sounds that way

theirry henry you should be ashamed especially for running around like a loony and then going up to every irish player and apologizing sorry dosent make a diffrence dose my head in sorry

rant over

Video technology has to be the way ahead or at least a ref behind the goals. Ireland should have been going to the world cup but instead the bloody french are going due to one cheating so and so.

I feel for the Irish as they have been brilliant in the qualifiers all through then get done by this, FIFA should ban the cheat but we all know this won't happen as the head of UEFA is surprise surprise French.

If video technology wipes this out of the game then i can handle a 30 second stoppage.

i agree that it was a absloute farce that that was not givin but i dont agree that video technology should be used as the game would be slowed down to much

In reality, how much would it slow the game down? The fourth official (or fifth official, should they feel the need for another) could almost be watching it on a TV as it happens, with the referee consulting him for dubious decisions or stuff he didn't see. Would it really take that much time? No more time than it takes to calm down 11 protesting and irrate players in my opinion. You could use it in a similar way to tennis whereby each team is given a pre-determined number of appeals that could use video evidence. The technology is there, why not take advantage of it and get rid of all this cheating.

It won't slow the game down. The game is already slow when a leading team has something to defend. Last night it was taking thirty seceonds per french throw-in!

If each team were to be given an allowance of 'decision challenges', of say two per half, it would prevent them being used to interupt the game.

It really is a difficult one. It is quite conceivable that you could have a decision referred to another official whose interpretation of the laws is different to the referee. Unfortunately, excluding did it cross the line arguments, it is not like tennis where it is just a case of is the ball in or not, or even in rugby where it is normally used to see if a player has gone into youch or not, is the ball grounded, etc.

An American football system where the teams can challenge and the main official looks at the incident again may work, but that would certainly slow the game down.

However, as someone who has played football for a number of years (not at the same level mind you! :D ) I am really quite disgusted in Henry's failure to acknowledge to the referee that he handled the ball. It is bordering on bringing the game into disrepute.

However, as someone who has played football for a number of years (not at the same level mind you! :D ) I am really quite disgusted in Henry's failure to acknowledge to the referee that he handled the ball. It is bordering on bringing the game into disrepute.

He would have gotten the fifa fair play award if he did make such a noble gesture as admitting it, posthumously I imagine after his team mates lynched him in the dressing room.

He got away with it, he won't be the last, personally speaking I'd rather have folk calling me a devious bar steward for winning by any means than saying aww nice effort but you still lost.

He would have gotten the fifa fair play award if he did make such a noble gesture as admitting it, posthumously I imagine after his team mates lynched him in the dressing room.

He got away with it, he won't be the last, personally speaking I'd rather have folk calling me a devious bar steward for winning by any means than saying aww nice effort but you still lost.

Maybe I am just too altruistic! The bottom line is he blatantly cheated and should be punished. Ban him from the World Cup I say!

It is bordering on bringing the game into disrepute.

bordering???? it is bringin da game inta disrepute - look at da faa oot fae it!!

as far as henry goes, he should either retire fae international fitba, or be banned for a lot mair as just da world cup. life widna be lang enough i wid say.

Back in September 2005, Uzbekistan and Bahrain were forced to replay the first leg of their qualifying match for World Cup 2006 after FIFA declared the 1-0 win to Uzbekistan invalid because of a "technical error by the referee".

With the score at 1-0, a penalty was awarded to Uzbekistan in the 39th minute. The penalty was scored, but after an attacker had encroached into the penalty area, the ref disallowed the goal and gave an indirect free-kick to Bahrain. The Laws of the Game, however, say that the penalty must be re-taken in this instance. Despite winning the match 1-0, Uzbekistan appealed, and FIFA duly ordered a replay.Ironically, the resulting replay was drawn 1-1, and as the second leg finished 0-0, Bahrain went through on away goals.

That sounds like something the Irish might have done !! :lol: