New Anderson High School

nic

should the AHS be built on the KNAB  

120 members have voted

1. 1. should the AHS be built on the KNAB

• yes different design
    • no
    • yes existing design

I'm not sure that having large amounts of pupils "sharing" all the facilitys with regular users of the clickamin, many who pay direct debits for the privilage will work.

For 50/60 million, all indoor physical activitys, except the pool should be contained within the new school.

As for outside activitys, 10 times around the Loch should cure the obesity levels :lol:

Or perhaps kids these days aren't allowed out in the rain :roll:

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^

Skunnered, What part of ''the article'' gives you the impression that if they build the school at lower Staney Hill then they would not include a games hall in the school because they could use the Clickimin Centre instead ?

Was there a saving for this in the Cost Comparison Report ?

Towards the end of the article on page 5 it says "However, a joint contribution from the PE department expressed reservations about any move to Lower Staney Hill because not having their own custom-made facilities would have a detrimental impact on their ability to teach the curriculum.

PE teachers fear that taking classes at Clickimin Centre would isolate pupils from the general working of the school, deny them access to a dedicated fitness suite and compromise their ability to use information technology in their classes."

As I said in my previous posting, I don't know if the PE teachers know for sure that there will be no dedicated games hall at the new school if it is built at lower Staney Hill, or if they are just fearing that this might be the case. As to potential cost saving, the article makes no mention of this, as far as I can see. Also, I have no idea what is contained in the Cost Comparison Report.

The P.E. teachers' concerns appear to centre around the expectation that, instead of getting a purpose-built and dividable games hall, storage area etc. all in the one place at the Knab, they would have a smaller games hall at the school at lower Staney Hill. Classes would then be split between there and the Clickimin games hall. There is no detailed plan drawn up for a school at the Staney Hill, but it seems to me a reasonable assumption for them to make at this point in time.

To the layman, it seems immensely sensible if the Clickhimin centre could provide the sports/P.E. accommodation for a new school.

It would cut building costs and it would share running costs. If the School has sole use of the Games hall during school hours that would still leave public use for evenings, weekends and holidays.

Would that really be too difficult to consider, when you think of the potential savings.

What is the public usage during the working day? I am sure that with the pool, function room and bowls hall there would be room to accommodate those outside the school during these periods.

I have no particular issue, either way, but am interested to hear what people think about this.

^^ How did we ever survive the ordeal of walking all the way from the Knab to the old pool at the Hillhead and back again, week after week....wholly unsupervised. :P

How did S3/4 etc ever survive the ordeal of walking all the way from the Knab to the technical and navigation rooms at the Central and back again, week after week for years....wholly unsupervised.

Dis yung eens noo-a-daes, dey dunna ken dir boarn! :wink: :lol:

I used to have to walk from Bells Brae to the laft at (peerie) Islesburgh for piano lessons at 7 year old .. call the cruelty man :lol:

It would be very important that all those members of the clickamin facilitys are asked of their opinion.

A lot of people pay up front for yearly subscriptions or direct debit to use the sports facilitys.

My monthly fee for using the Apex hasn't gone down, seeing we don't have a cafe anymore or the fact that it is closing for two weeks at Xmas, they still keep taking the money out!

I just don't think it will work sharing.

You also have big problems with the changing rooms, sometimes you get classes of kids, some from Bells Brae having to use "grown up" changing rooms. This has made some people uneasy in todays society if you get my drift.

I think it would be total chaos, and as for cost quite honestly i couldn't give a toss anymore, it ain't gonna be 30 or 40 millon like some councilors would like it to be :roll:

There is no way that a new school at Staney Hill could solely rely on the Clickimin for P.E facilities. It may seem like an obvious cost cutting mechanism, but there are almost invariably at least two classes at once, and that would occupy a large part of the hall. Swimming is also a lot less frequent than some people seem to think it is. The biggest problem with swimming (in my opinion) is the time it takes everyone to get changed at the beginning and end of the lesson, and when you've only got 50 or 55 minutes that isn't ideal.

My point is, siting the school at the Clickimin will not make all P.E woes go away instantly!

pj why are you using the centre in lerwick does brae not have what you need.

Anyone from south notice that most swimming pools are closed during the day because the schools have use of them.

if it saves millions and it makes sense then adapt the centre to fit the schools needs. if the changing needs looking at then change it but its still cheaper than having two sports facilities next to each other.

Are they planning to use the rugby pitch for building. if it was on or near there then it would not delay the changing times etc. how long was left after being bussed to the sports centre.

Manchester had a lot of used sport centres after the commonwealth games if man city had not taken it on it would have cost millions a year to run. maybe if the school was to integrate the sports centre into there build they could let it out for the none teaching periods. this would save lots on the part of the leisure trust and save lots by the school not having to pay for the use of the facilities.

if your use of the centre would be reduced by this then they would have to look at reducing the cost to you. but is it better to make use of built buildings than duplicate them. as i have said it works for the smaller centres. it may also mean it would stop making a loss.

Paul b, i'm in Lerwick at the time i use the Clickamin.

Aith is far better than Brae...imho.

As regards saving costs...SIC don't do that :lol:

Don't build sports facilitys and let the kids run up and down the hill behind the school, if councilors in their wisdom decide to build it there. Which is the best place for it by the way, as long as there is a bloody good architect involved.

but thats just a waste. why for pity sake would you build a sports facility next to a high class sports facility. were not talking miles of walking and the cost savings would be large. again aith and brae are happy to use the sports centres why not lerwick to spoilt maybe. to think of the sports facility at my old school. they are very lucky.

This is the council your talking about and nobody can waste money better than they do