New Lerwick Roundabout

moorit

Guest Anonymous

I canna say ive ever seen anybody in da red kerbed bit. Is this carry on no a over reaction. Seein a fool with her bairns using it as a pavement is hardly reason to write a safety report. Have any of you seen folk walking around the red bit ? There are loads of roundabouts the same as this one down South.

You have to remember that Shetland has an extraordinarily high percentage of the population who don't know how to use roundabouts. Obviously pedestrians as well as motorists.

Shetland also has a council who love spending money on reports.

So putting those two factors together.....

:wink:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Council should request a feasibility study and then a Customer Focus Department to deal with this.

Flybe have a Customer Focus Department who are busy focussing on the complete lack of wheelchair appearances despite requests using their Special Assistance Request Department.

Or there is the old fall-back position, the Focus Feedback Forum......

Councillors were horrified yesterday (Tuesday) after member Betty Fullerton said she had seen a mother with two children in the middle of the roundabout.

Committee chairman Allan Wishart called for an urgent safety report with proposals for temporary as well as long term measures to deal with these "very serious issues".

Any suggestions ????

I mean, technically, people are free to walk in the road, it's not illegal, we just have pavements some places where it might be a better idea to use them. Drivers always have the responsibility not to run people over, even if they happen to be walking somewhere inconvenient.

While I don't think it's a great place to choose to walk, I'm not sure either that we should reinforce the idea that drivers don't need to take any special care there, especially given its location outside a school.

Any suggestions ????

As far as walking on the red bricked area is concerned--a bit of common sense should sort that. If people are going to persist in being so reckless then I imagine the short term solution (and perhaps even the long term solution) will involve additional signage.

Perhaps some roundabout user workshops could be set up in Islesburgh and country halls throughout Shetland; and instruction leaflets sent to every household.

a big 8ft high fence with barbed wire around the roundabout thats whats needed here god forbid ppl should walk on the roundabout!

in fact gold wire fence would be more suitable

A sign c'mon now thats far too easy and sensible.

haha really why do ppl care ive seen ppl on the tescos roundabout and a car infact! no signs there lol

what a carry on!!

Shetland appears to have tried to design out the real functionality of a Roundabout...

Point one...

There are always two lanes around a roundabout (unless a small innercity one way junction)

Tesco roundabout drivers are forced into a one lane circulation which leaves a.... can i or can't i?. should i or should i not?.... as when to enter the roundabout for a smooth flow of traffic.

Point two...

Sound....red brick inner circle...WHY???

how does it help traffic flow?