Housing in Shetland

Guest Anonymous

^^ I think it would be fair to say that the vast majority of council houses could be accurately described as "terrible" in one context or another, by at least a given percentage of the population. That which is built on a limited budget, to "basic" standards, and designed by people who almost certainly have never lived in one, and never will, is never going to be "perfect" in anyone's eyes, and will be intolerable for many.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

A'm goin ta fon me hoosin officer aboot a appointment dmorn. Currently bidin in an uninsulated laft, athoot a bed in me midders hoose (Winter :? ). Hae neurological damage dat affects me balance un co-ordination meanin i canno drive or bide on me feet fur ony length o time (Climbin up a ladder every mornin un nite's no da best idea edder) - but I work fur me money, pay me wye, and wid look efter property! Fed up seein aa da junkies un sh*te gettin aa da good hooses! :evil: Meby i should shed me good-natured wyes, un go un assault sumbody - mite get a hoose dan! :P But seriously - it really riles me, da wye da system treats good, honest, hard-workin folk second compared we criminals un junkies!!! Grrrr!

• 2 weeks later...

So, according to SIBC this morning at least, SIC Housing in their wisdom, and I use that term in its vaguest and loosest possible sense, have dumped a convicted serial child abuser awaiting sentence, in a small SIC housing scheme at the Ness, with families with young children, and merely a hop skip and jump away from the local primary school.

Nice, very, very....nice! :roll: :roll: :evil:

I'll shutup now before I say what I really think of SIC Housing, and incur the Mods an immense amount of censoring/editing.

Just to empathise with the housing officers for a moment- where would be more suitable? (excluding mention of concrete boots, flogging, burning etc)

I wouldn't fancy their job in an instance like this. They, I'd imagine, have a legal obligation to house the offender somewhere. I don't think Fetlar, Firth, Sandvein or Saxavord or even the Staney Hill Hostel would be in any ways preferable to the locals of those areas either.

As far as I'm aware there aren't any 'adults only' housing areas in Shetland.

Making the best of a bad lot, I doot.

(And as I'm already regretting the potential consequences of perpetuating the subject, go easy on it please. No case details or the like, pleeaase.)

Somewhat wonder about the SIC having a duty to house this person at all. Do all people on bail have a right to council housing?. If they do indeed have such a duty then I am left wondering if the best solution would have been to pay for him to live in a bail hostel on the mainland until sentence since we have no bail hostels here.

Certainly I find it hard to think of anywhere within Shetland where there are no children living nearby so the housing people are probably going to be criticised wherever they put him.

I don't doubt that no-one wants him as a neighbour, and I can have a very slight hint of sympathy for the Housing staff lumbered with him. The wisdom of leaving such a person loose while awaiting sentance is very much open to debate too, but that's one to aim at the Sheriff, not housing.

To make the best of a very bad lot, surely somewhere with the lowest concentration of children and the highest concentration of adults would make sense for someone like this. Keep temptation to a minimum and survelliance to a maximum.

I don't know much about the Staney Hill Hostel, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that it is a "single persons" hostel, ie all of the occupants have neither partners or dependant children, a one person, one room, one bed set up. I'm sure they don't want him either, but all things considered its the best we've got IMHO, there are other houses with children too close for sure, but at least there's none immediately on the doorstep, and there's no school in the neighbourhood, nor are there likely to be many children walking past etc to a local shop as is where he is.

If Windybrae still existed in its former hostel incarnation and they'd bunged him there, I know fine well the immediate neighbours would have been far from happy bunnies, but it might just have been tolerable. Where he is is right in the centre of all the "children magnets" of the district, school, shop, road etc etc....

I do have a grain of sympathy for the local authorities because contrary to human instinct these people have to live somewhere .. but the fact that the locals didn't know who/what he is, is the dangerous bit.

A well known local pedophile is living back in our community after a (not long enough) jail sentence, we all know who he is so we can warn our children to stay well away..

The problems really start when "they" are drummed out of town.. and when no one knows them, they can begin their perversion again.