Obesity in Shetland

shetlander

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm overweight most of it got put on when I first became ill and couldn't do what I used to be able to do. After getting wheelchair and moving back up here I've found that I'm getting out and about more and thus starting to lose weight.

Pooks - I've read that article on other forums. I'm not sure about that family at all. You don't get DLA for being obese and you don't get Epilespy because of being Obese. It was also in the Daily Mail and the original article was in Closer. I think they desperately need educated about nutrition and exercise although if they are being shouted at in the street I suppose that isn't helping. I did find reading the article initially a bit shocking then I studied it.

I can't believe that family are saying they need more money when they are on benefits already. They get incapacity benefit,disability living allowance,job seekers and no doubt their rent and council tax is paid for them as well. They are probably better off than most people on benefits. If people are being abusive to them that is not right but they could help themselves. The diet they eat doesn't sound too healthy if that is what they eat. And as for fruit and veg being expensive they ought to live where we do and see what expensive means.

The photo of them smiling is a mockery along with the article to people who are genuinely ill and overweight. They really need to get a grip and get into the real world.

hellsbells I totally agree about fruit and veg bit. I think that it's not expensive to eat a healthy diet at all. When I was a student I found it to be cheaper going to the greengrocers and getting fruit and veg there than the supermarket (plus it IMO it tasted better). I lived off soups, they are very cheap to make nutritous and filling.

I don't get this family, their Dr should have put them to a dietician or at least given them some information. I do believe that some people genuinely don't know "how to eat healthily" I think that's how they put it but help is at hand all they need to do is ask.

I think they thought that the article would be a way to push the daughter forward after X Factor and didn't bargain on that at all.

The other side of this is that some researchers are starting to think that there is something in the genes that contributes to obesity. Out of the five surviving children my Dad produced three of us have weight problems. In my case I had lots of jobs that were physically hard, quite often walked or cycled to work, went hill or coast path walking at the weekends and was always overweight. Will admit that my diet was perhaps not that good but it was certainly not bad and I must have been burning lots of calories with all the exercise.

Arthritic knees have now limited my exercise and I am seriously dieting trying to lose weight and also reduce blood sugar levels and I think I would be telling that rather sad family that they really do need to get serious about their diet before their weight kills them.

Maybe alcohol has a part to play....certainly in obese adults. Re the kids....I blame too much TV and too much time on computer games. In Shetland, there is no excuse not to let your kids play out. When I lived there, I was out all the time...come rain or shine. There was no computer games or WII's or anything like that - you had to make your own entertainment. I was the master of gang-hut building.

Sport is such a big thing in Shetland today. There is no excuse for either adult or child to be obsese- you also have the best facilities in the UK - unless it's a genetic thing and no matter what you do - you will always be overweight.

Sport is such a big thing in Shetland today. There is no excuse for either adult or child to be obsese- you also have the best facilities in the UK - unless it's a genetic thing and no matter what you do - you will always be overweight.

It's a problem - it's a struggle if you are one of those few who have this as an issue. Fortunately, Shetland is a tolerant friendly place, and if someone wants help to combat obesity or to battle weight issues, friendly folk help.

Maybe alcohol has a part to play....certainly in obese adults. Re the kids....I blame too much TV and too much time on computer games. In Shetland, there is no excuse not to let your kids play out. When I lived there, I was out all the time...come rain or shine. There was no computer games or WII's or anything like that - you had to make your own entertainment. I was the master of gang-hut building.

Isn't that a slight generalisation? I know the only reason I became over weight as a child was through over eating, due to boredom and I never really went outside to play. This was due to where I used to live and to be honest, video games are far more fun.

These days, I have an average BMI (around 21) and my lifestyle hasn't really changed outside of what I eat and I walk everywhere I need to get to.

Alcohol certainly didn't make me overweight I didn't eat the right kinds of food when I was in my early 20s. I was always size 10/12 then I had another heart operation and a bairn. I tended to comfort eat then.But believe me I now wish I didn't. I am at the heaviest I've ever been and it's not a nice feeling. I don't want pity I got myself like this but I do need help and support to let go of the excess weight. I go to the doc and the nurse weighs me each week. I am still not comfortable about my size but when I am happy I'll let the world know.

It's a problem - it's a struggle if you are one of those few who have this as an issue. Fortunately, Shetland is a tolerant friendly place, and if someone wants help to combat obesity or to battle weight issues, friendly folk help.

I totally agree with your comments TeeAyebee

Only just joined - so still getting trying to get the hang of things on this site in terms of replying etc - I'm not the most 'techno' person.....in fact - I'm really bad....but I will persevere!

TeeAybee - I totally agree with your comments. Shetland is teeming with friendly and supportive folk. That's why I'll always love Shetland and it's people - and why I miss it.

KingofFun UK - I did say MAYBE alcohol has a PART to play - I certainly wasn't suggesting that all overweight folk in Shetland were heavy drinkers - far from it.

Hellsbells - Thank you for your post. I'm no slimster myself and I do have an understanding of how you feel - you will get there.

It may not be a factor for all individuals but I think in the broader local context, alcohol is a major contributor to poor health and obesity, particularly among men. As the Council have, you can pump millions into sporting facilities (or any other non alcohol related social or cultural facilities for that matter) and have one of the most suited environments (in the summertime at least) for just about any outdoor pursuit imaginable. But when deeply ingrained local culture, habits and attitudes take a long time to change - as they can in Shetland - the influence that has in terms of improving health can be minimal.