The Bressay Bridge

admin

Do you think we should build a bridge to Bressay?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think we should build a bridge to Bressay?

• Yes
    • No
    • We need more information
    • Don't know/don't care

Without me having to go through all 6 pages right now can someone condense the contributions and explain why there is a need for a bridge or tunnel in the first place?

I am totally unaware of the history with this debate but having taken an easy and very pleasant trip across to Bressay a few weeks back I can't understand why the ferry is considered to need replacing?

Is it because of the potential disruption due to bad weather?

good question not one im sure i can answer correctly.. as it appears to of become a battle of wills between teh SIC and LPA.. with both seemed to of lost sight of the origanal goals.

but what sold the idea to me of a fixed link weather tunnel or bridge origanally, is the money saved for not having to run the ferry.

Obviously number can be fudged to suit any arguement.. but the figures i remember is that the bridge will pay for it self after not paying for the ferry and its running costs after 16 years..

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without me having to go through all 6 pages right now can someone condense the contributions and explain why there is a need for a bridge or tunnel in the first place?

I am totally unaware of the history with this debate but having taken an easy and very pleasant trip across to Bressay a few weeks back I can't understand why the ferry is considered to need replacing?

Is it because of the potential disruption due to bad weather?

Why indeed?.........certainly I am informed that our MSP is unable to leave home on a Monday morning to catch the first ferry to Lerwick and still make it to the airport in time for the first plane to Edinburgh.. But then that is the sort of side effect that living on an island brings.

Emergency cover for the like of ambulances has been mentioned. Seems the ferry crew will turn out quickly at any time of night and there is always the helicopter if the ferry can't run. And if medical emergencies are that much of I priority for our council then perhaps then would like to start by getting their own house in order and ensure that all roads are open 24/7/365 rather than stopping winter road clearance at 6pm.

Cost of ferries against a bridge. I suspect that things like bridge painting have not been completely included in the comparative costings and I wonder about the need for a ferry like the current one that spends half its time tied up on Bressay........a smaller boat would presumably provide a more frequent service perhaps even for less cost and certainly for less capital expenditure.

Issues such as who gains from increased demand for land and houses in Bressay I will not, as yet, comment on but I will comment on the LPA. Seems to me that the one good thing Lerwick has going for it when it comes to getting work from the oil companies in general, and decommissioning work in particular is the fact that Lerwick offers a dual entry port more or less 24/7/365 and if a bridge was to pose a threat to that then it might well be best that a bridge was not built.

Might also point out that one day we might all be glad that an unobstructed North Mouth was available..........about the time that we all wanted to catch the last boats out of Shetland.

The best analogy I heard was that of a body shutting down.

The heart needs to keep pumping so the extremities start to go first: the hands; the feet; down the arms; down the legs, until theres nothing left and then the heart just stops!

Imagine the "outlying extremities" of Shetland: Unst or Yell, having a fixed link first to prop up and enable and ensure these areas stay vibrant and alive.

If the outlying regions die off, what then? They are already beginning to falter. You have a centralised Shetland and a major uphill struggle to re-populate and regenerate such areas.

What then, another "Initiative at the Edge"? for areas that were already vibrant and could have become further economically viable should they have received that aid they so dearly needed!

When the super-liners giving communication to these areas come to their time, what then? More super-super liners? Will there be any money left in the pot then?

Both Yell and Unst need fixed links. There can be no argument against. The ferry is romantic, yes, but that's all. And for those of you who say we chose to live on an island, yes we did. But don't forget we're in a different century. People need to move about at all times of the day and night.

An excellent anology Trout.

Those of us who would be happy to live far out of Lerwick are continually frustrated by the transport situation and work. No work in outlying areas means that we have to travel to Lerwick. The sort of jobs I have thusfar been able to secure make car ownership a struggle, if not impossible. I have no intention of joining others who are deeply in debt in these isles just to fund the purchase and running of a car.

Both Yell and Unst need fixed links. There can be no argument against. The ferry is romantic, yes, but that's all. And for those of you who say we chose to live on an island, yes we did. But don't forget we're in a different century. People need to move about at all times of the day and night.

I see that the fixed links to Yell, Unst & Whalsay are not even mentioned on the Councils top 50 wish list of councillors pet projects, and the Bressay Bridge, after all the shouting is only ranked number 10.

Interesting to note the the burial ground programme is #1 on the list, which is just as well, as it where several of the projects on the list should be consigned !

There is a real opportunity to help Yell and Unst by building a bridge between the two, incorporating trial tidal and wave power generation. This would help with other projects in the north isles, such as one big secondary school serving both areas, therefore saving more money.

So much for the argument that the Bressay Bridge is needed as ferries are so expensive to run. The Bressay ferry is the highest earning ferry in terms of costs against income. Why therefore is this the first one to go, when for example, the Unst ferry is free and therefore earns no income.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say that this debate has gone on long enough. Who cares about the blo&£&^dy Bressay Bridge!!!! With the way things have gone, the islanders - and indeed the Shetland Community doesn't deserve a sodding bridge! At the end of the day, its all about egos ie. a certain Councillor and a certain man in charge of OUR Harbour Trust (not his Harbour Trust!!!

Oh....and one other thing......why hasn't our great local Bressay resident Mr Scott got involved in this with the other man who who likes to stand up for our Post Office.....Mr Charmichael? Why have they not become involved....ah...you guessed it because the bridge issue would cost them votes.

Forgive my cynacism.....

I'm away to make a cup of tea .........!

Both Yell and Unst need fixed links. There can be no argument against. The ferry is romantic, yes, but that's all.

It would likely make sense.

It will likely not get done because of the costs.

Unst - Yell would be managable, but Yell - Mainland is a big big project.

I can understand that a fixed link might let somebody who lives on one of the islands and works on another/the mainland stay in their house instead of having to move, but there's also the reverse that while they stay in the house, now the Unst children can go to school in Yell, or the family can shop in Brae.... if you change something it will cause other changes, and they might not all be the ones you want.

Guest Anonymous

a bridge to yell would probably mean two bridges using bigga or samphray in the middle or you could fill in and build a causeway?

dan again maybe cars dat can either float or fly could be da answer!

This, again, shows how important the interconnector is. The case for a causeway/tunnel/bridge accross Yell Sound suddenly makes a lot more sense when combined with a tidal power barrage, ditto for Bluemell Sound. It would pay for itself in a couple of decades, and the maintenance/operations jobs created would offset the job losses from ditching the ferries.

A win/win stuation! :D

Am I the only person that thinks that neither side are forthcoming with everything here?

By that I mean: are the LPA concerned that because they own no land on the Bressay side is there a chance income from renting will drop? Does the council have a hidden agenda on decomissioning outwith Lerwick, would they have control over it if, for example, it was to locate to Sullom Voe, they are after all building a big new quay up there are they not?

Do we feel we have all the facts here?

The LPA all ready own a share in Heogan and maintain and use the pier there.