Getting off too lightly?

Sudden Stop

im not defending my actions. its not ok to slap a child. what i was trying to say which some people clearly didnt bother to understand is that hitting some one is just going to get you not the person wh0 shot at you stole from you into troube.

just to clear things up this was a single slap not a beating up. the family was at the time under a lot of stress. the child in questio0n was becoming violent to her mum who is smaller than her when she could not get her way.

at no stage did i deny what happened. the person who she was emotionaly mixed up with her was a young adult with a history of causing trouble in his girl friends families.

and as i also said this event was a changing point in her relationship with herself and the rest of the family. though i did not enjoy the experiance it was worth it because she is now happy with her life she is progressing in her life goals and also has a very nice boyfriend. so i maybe the worst father in the world but im happy that she has discovered that she is a person with a positive future. if she had been allowed to run a muck i very much doubt that she would be were she is now.

again IT IT NOT OK TO HIT ANYONE i thought i would try to explain why its no good to use violence to resolve an issue. it can and does stuff your life up.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest harri2006

Talking of getting off lightly. You may all remember the well known Xmas thief last year who robbed houses before Xmas. He recieved a 2 year prison sentence in February and is now walking the streets after only serving 6 months. Just before Xmas to rob again.

Trouble with our justice system is that it is mainly based on the concept that crime leads to punishment. Now that may make the victims feel better but it seems that far too many criminals are in a loop of crime, punishment, crime, punishment which of course means more victims of crime.

Maybe we should be trying "crime leads to rehabilitation" as an alternative to punishment while also working with education to prevent crime. After all the same people seem to get their names in the paper not long after their release from prison so maybe prison is not such a great answer either for criminals or victims.

Trouble with our justice system is that it is mainly based on the concept that crime leads to punishment. Now that may make the victims feel better but it seems that far too many criminals are in a loop of crime, punishment, crime, punishment which of course means more victims of crime.

Maybe we should be trying "crime leads to rehabilitation" as an alternative to punishment while also working with education to prevent crime. After all the same people seem to get their names in the paper not long after their release from prison so maybe prison is not such a great answer either for criminals or victims.

Maybe we should try making prisons places that once folk have been there they fear returning to, just like they used to be. Of course they're not working just now, they can't when one significant percentage of who end up in them brag about having been there with some pride, and it earns them kudos among their peers, and another significant percentage consider it either an occupational hazard, or a nice break, life is easier and more comfortable for them than it is on the outside.

Prisons these days are a restriction of liberty, nothing else about them can be considered as a "punishment" any longer, and in this day and age restriction of liberty is really no big deal, certainly not the big deal it was in the past, not with the ever tighening laws, rules and regulations imposed on everyone by the EU, national and regional Governments which restrict the liberties and rights of the individual more and more.

I watched the first series of 'Bad Lads Army' on TV and was struck by how many young men were turned around by the strict Army regime. Perhaps this should be the way to treat offenders - 2 years 'National Service' and no time off for 'good behavior'. If this was a minimum sentence for ANY misdemeanor I foresee petty crime plummeting like a stone.

I watched the first series of 'Bad Lads Army' on TV and was struck by how many young men were turned around by the strict Army regime. Perhaps this should be the way to treat offenders - 2 years 'National Service' and no time off for 'good behavior'.

Both the Kray twins did National Service, and it didn't turn them round. And if there's no time off for good behaviour - what incentive is there to behave ?

^I found an example for you:

'No room' in jail for fraudster

A benefits cheat has avoided a jail sentence after a sheriff said there was no room for him in Scotland's overcrowded prisons.

Sheriff Lindsay Foulis made it clear to George Munce that his sentence had been influenced by the fact inmate numbers were reaching "crisis point".

Munce, 46, from Auchterarder, had fraudulently claimed almost £10,000 of benefit cash by claiming he was single.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e60_1222355200

Both the Kray twins did National Service, and it didn't turn them round. And if there's no time off for good behaviour - what incentive is there to behave ?

I didn't predict a 100% success rate.

As for what incentive there would be to behave.....well, not having to do another 2 years in the Army would be a wonderful incentive for most criminals - or you could increase the time for repeat offenders.

I don't get 'rewarded' for being good - so why should a criminal expect a reward.

I didn't predict a 100% success rate.

The Krays are hardly an isolated example of people who weren't kept on the straight and narrow by military disciple. Lee Harvey Oswald and Charles Whitman were in the US Marines ( as anybody whose seen Full Metal Jacket knows ). Timothy McVeigh was in the US Army, and Dennis Nilsen was in the RAF. And the very existence of military prisons suggests that service personnel aren't all paragons of virtue.

Deranged mass murderers are not quite in the same league as petty criminals.

I'm sure if I searched hard enough, I could find many examples of petty criminals who used to be in the military. The point is: is there any evidence that subjecting petty criminals to military discipline makes them less likely to offend in future ?

^^ I dont think its so much about that (I believe its impossible to change someone "make up" - if they are criminally minded only they can make that decision) but about instilling discipline.

Like so many things nowadays, simple common sense or even natural basic human instinct just seems to be missing in some people, but thats going off topic.

I reiterate my point from earlier - i believe everything could be simplified, made more economical, and be more effective by introducing fixed punishments, which will not be altered under any circumstances.

Someone earlier mentioned that if there wasn't time off for good behaviour, what incentive was there to behave - thats seems backwards to me. Surely the incentive to behave should be that if you dont, your sentence will be extended, not the other way round.