Should Gordon Brown Go?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

I am in full agreement with the last 2 posts , in that I would like to see th U.K FREE From that quagmire of E.U buearocrazy and Shetland achieve the same Status as the Isle of Man .

I think the last two or three posts are a bit unfair to the EU - compared with the way we Europeans settled our differences before it, a great talking shop sounds like quite an improvement. And most of the objectionableness of the stuff attributed to it is local (i.e. Westminster) in origin.

Take the smoking ban. Here, the smokers must be demonised and driven out of all bars, public buildings, etc. In Spain, under *exactly* the same EU directive, the bar owner decides whether to be smoking or non-smoking. About 70% of them continue to allow smoking, result, everybody's happy - as against our sceptred isles, where dozens of pubs per week are closing and everybody's complaining.

As for whether Brown should go ... who cares? Whatever replaces him would be just as bad, maybe worse. They're all (by definition) power hungry, or they wouldn't be in that business. (Cynical? Moi?)

It's not often you'll hear me defend a Labour politician, but I think some of the attacks on GB are not very accurate.

For a start, he hardly 'clawed his way to the top' - he was chancellor for about 10 years, and for all of that time has been the most obvious and prominent successor to TB.

Also, as far as his economic handling goes, the British economy did incredibly well while he was at the treasury. Now it's falling apart along with most of the rest of the world. Rather than showing how incompetent he is, I think it just gives a frightening demonstration of exactly how little power the British government actually have over the British economy when things start to go wrong internationally. There is nothing any politician could do to solve the problems that are unfolding at the moment unless they wanted to entirely remove us from the international financial markets, which I don't hear any of them suggesting.

For a start, he hardly 'clawed his way to the top' - he was chancellor for about 10 years, and for all of that time has been the most obvious and prominent successor to TB.

Also, as far as his economic handling goes, the British economy did incredibly well while he was at the treasury. Now it's falling apart along with most of the rest of the world.

This is true.

Things would have to be pretty bad before the conservatives would be a better option.

Who knows though, perhaps a new wave of yuppies and a return to boom and bust economics is the answer to global economic downturn. Or are they all about trees now?

http://engineblockers.googlepages.com/Eng_logo_full_colLarge.jpg/Eng_logo_full_colLarge-medium;init:.jpg

the brittish economy was so good under GB that the first bank to fall because of an American financial crisis was Northern Rock a british bank.

The fat ass borrowed record amounts while the economy was on the up with no way of making the repayments now the economy is on the slide the UK is going to end up the poor man of Europe.

We have a generation of kids who have been taught not to think for themselves in case some of them show apptitude and progrees faster than some of the slower witted members of their class. wouldn't do to let them feel inferior now would it.

So the next election will see a change in government and for a fair few years things will be hard as the next lot try and sort out the mess left by this lot. then hay presto the kids that can't think for themselves can't get jobs blame the government of the day and vote labour, and so it starts again.

is it time we credit checked the banks. they seem keen on checking us out hard. as we the people of the uk have lent the banks billions can we expect a REDUCTION ON OUR MORGAGES,

now the yanks want to write off the american banks sub prime greed i really dont see that they should. when i went mad with the plastic a few years ago i didnt see the goverment running to cover my debts i had to pay it off. it as taught me not to have a credit card. maybe they should have to learn the same lesson. i know if my debts had just vanished i would have end up in the same hole.

I don't think GB should go. He's probably the only member of parliament let alone party leader that has sufficient experience with national and international economics to understand what is goin on and what should be done to prevent a meltdown.

I certainly wouldn't let that little, pompous, bike-riding yuppie Cameron take over. What will the tories privatise this time round??

• 6 months later...
When will the public learn? Rolling Eyes

When they are queueing at the soup kitchen I imagen.

Edit...., looks like soup kitchens are are going to get popular very soon, :shock: >>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2qDW34Fr64

Holy sh#*t.. considering we are in a much worse situation than the US, god knows how this is going to pan out.