Island Games team

braveheart

i dont unerstand this argument about mangers with sons ??? if you are good enough you play! it will become a problem if they pick average son who is not better than those avalible,

as the view that john jamieson would pick some fringe players from delting, to be fair some of the players who played for shetland over the past 2 year are no better than some of there fringe players at delting :shock:

JUST to throw this out there if you had to pick a 21 man squad to go who would it be that was the whole point of my thread before peanut resigned

i know that mine would be

Goalkeepers.C.DINWOODIE,DELTING G,THOMPSON,WHALSAY, E,PETERSON, NESS

Defenders, M,JAMIESON,DELTING, R,ARTHUR, L,KAY,SPURS, B,DUNCAN,DELTING , R,MONCRIEFF,CELTIC, L,FLAWS,DELTING, K,WILLAMSON,WHALSAY,

Midfeilders, J,JOHNSON, SPURS, D,ANDERSON,WHITEDALE, R,JAMIESON,DELTING, E,THOMPSON,UNST, S,HAY,DELTING (IF AVALIBLE) I,SIMPSON,WHALSAY, P,MOLLOY,WHITEDALE

Forwards, A,DAVIDSON,SCALLOWAY L, PEARSON,WHALSAY, R,MACDOUGALL, DELTING, S,UMPHARAY,SCALLOWAY

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont unerstand this argument about mangers with sons ??? if you are good enough you play! it will become a problem if they pick average son who is not better than those avalible,

Forwards, A,DAVIDSON,SCALLOWAY L, PEARSON,WHALSAY, R,MACDOUGALL, DELTING, S,UMPHARAY,SCALLOWAY

The problem is everyone has different opinions, and selecting people close to you makes it even more difficult.

For example say George Leask was manager, and he picked his son Joe Leask, who is certainly better than average,has performed really well for Shetland when asked, and should arguably be included in the team before Ross McDougal there are people like you who would not agree with that. You have not even included Joe Leask in your squad, but the manager (his Dad) thinks he should be in the team.

Another totally different example of different opinions, (perhaps close to your home :? )

Alan Duncan no doubt thought he should walk straight into the Intercounty team this year, but the manager had a different opinion. Maybe that caused problems for the manager ??

John Jamieson should not get to job because he has strong links to Delting but it's OK for Robbie Simpson to get it?

Does Robbie not have a strong link with Celtic?

All managers when they move on like to take players from there old club they have maybe worked with players for years and know what they can give and are like.

However gets it will have a link to a club or players in the squad I don't think there is anything we can do about that.

The majority of the Shetland team are Delting players anyway they have been the best team in the league for alot of seasons now.

Who ever gets the job should pick what they think is the best team regardless of which club they play for, how many other players from the same club are playing or if they are related to them or not.

Niall Bristow work under Robbie Simpson come on now.

It would be great to see Niall come back into it things but if he did he would need to be in charge.

John Jamiesonn has won the league with Delting for however many years and won countless Cups with them so if he is keen I think he has to be the number one contender for the job.

The Delting boys that I have spoken with talk about him with high regard as a manager.

All the people mentioned so far have the ability to do the job, it remains to be seen if they put themselves forward at the AGM. Regardless of who does get the job they are more likely than not going to have a tie to one club or another.

All I would ask is that when they apply for the job they give it the full attention it requires, in that they should solely devote their time to the Shetland County select and not be involved with a club side in Shetland. The previous manager was criticised for not being able to devote enough time to the post so I would expect the new manager to be able to give it their full and undivided attention.

Well said Penfold !

The County Manager job is a very difficult position so instead of looking for problems with any interested people perhaps we should instead be thankfull that people are willing to put themselves forward.

The truth is that 70% of the squad picks itself, the other positions are open and there is very little difference between the players. The manager will need to work with these players in training to decide what his squad needs (ie, more young exciting prospect or a few experienced head). Some players who look outstanding in A League football struggle when they play in a higher standard of football, others players who are steady and do the simple things often find the jump in level relativly easy.

At the end of the day the manager picks the team and my main hope is that whoever gets the job knows how important it is to have proper training aimed at both fitness and organising the team on the park. A tournaments like the inter island games needs good preperation so I really hope whoever gets the job is prepared to put the work in and is not one of your average club managers who believed management is all about filling in a team sheet and dishing out random abuse to players.

...as for joe leask ahead of ross macdougall thats just made my day al be laughing all day about that one,

If you can manage to tear yourself away from your day-long chuckle-a-thon perhaps you could enlighten us as to your opinion of the relative strengths and weaknesses of each of those two players.

Or is it easier just to have an opinion without justifying it?

* Edited due to split infinitive*

i would have alan duncan in my team but he no longer lives in the island as for joe leask ahead of ross macdougall thats just made my day al be laughing all day about that one,

Yes, that's your opinion.

Here is another one of your opinions. This one was regarding the Player of the Year.

in my eyes there only one winner, he has been da driving force in the delting and shetland midfield and made a mug of many of the top players in the league ladies and gentlemen mr alan duncan

I am not sure if they have a top three or not ? If so, was Alan even in the top three ?

The reason I stated John Jamieson for the job is that if he is going to force a reasonably successful manager out of such a thankless unpaid job he should shut up or put up!

It well known that John Jamieson rarely/never takes winter training, that is left to the players and he has no coaches. Check out Brian Duncans blog in "meet the players"

http://www.deltingfc.co.uk/