Wheelie bins?

tlady

Wheelie bins - will you use  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Wheelie bins - will you use

• Yes
    • No
    • Not practical

Never had any probs with wheelie bins in the UK when I was living there.

Theyre faster for the lads on the scaffie cart, no split bags, no sharp hazards or scorries and dogs ripping bags apart. More hygienic, wind doesn't spread the contents over the park/neighbours gardin or road. All you need to ensure is that fowk make sure the bin is secure in high winds.

Had one up here since the day we moved in, it's never been a problem for the scaffie lads.

Noise? FFS.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noise? FFS.

The present crew are fine, barely know they've been. The previous lot who were on it for over a year seemed to be aspiring drummers to a (wo)man, and hell bent to us the bins and lift gear to practice at every opportunity.

Kinda pissing off when they did it weekly a matter of yards outside your hoose. I tried roaring "F*** O**" out the window at then a time or two, but they were making such a bloody racket they couldna hear me....

A lot of pavements are too narrow to allow wheelchairs, mobility scooters and some prams & push-chairs to get past wheelie bins, and there's a dearth of dropped kerbs in some areas so folk cannot get off the pavement to get around the bins.

Excess 'street furniture' is a hazard for Blind people too.

Wheeled bins are maybe okay for folk who have hard paths or pavements and not track roads, chipped drives, steeper slopes or girsey broos to drag the full bins along.

I think I posted previously that they can't force you to have wheelie bins; provided your rubbish is in a suitable container/bag, isn't it still the case that any Local Authority is obliged to collect said rubbish?

Yes, Local Authorities absolutely have to provide a waste collection, but they can also specify how waste is to be presented for collection, and choose not to collect if your chosen method doesn't comply.

But as far as I'm aware, Shetland-wide wheely-bins aren't really on the cards, are they?

Noise? FFS.

The present crew are fine, barely know they've been. The previous lot who were on it for over a year seemed to be aspiring drummers to a (wo)man, and hell bent to us the bins and lift gear to practice at every opportunity.

Kinda pissing off when they did it weekly a matter of yards outside your hoose. I tried roaring "F*** O**" out the window at then a time or two, but they were making such a bloody racket they couldna hear me....

Retaliate with bongos outside their bedroom windaes at 4am 8)

A lot of pavements are too narrow to allow wheelchairs, mobility scooters and some prams & push-chairs to get past wheelie bins, and there's a dearth of dropped kerbs in some areas so folk cannot get off the pavement to get around the bins.

Excess 'street furniture' is a hazard for Blind people too.

Wheeled bins are maybe okay for folk who have hard paths or pavements and not track roads, chipped drives, steeper slopes or girsey broos to drag the full bins along.

So dumping a bag of rubbish on the pavement less of a hazard than a bin? Hmmmmm....

Highland Council have had wheelie bins all over Caithness and Sutherland for donkeys years and there's more long/steep/rough drives than you could shake a stick at. My mate use to drag his down the 1/4 mile track by hanging onto the bin with his right hand and driving down left handed with the door open.....

The only real problem area is terraced houses - that can be a big issue for the residents as luggin the bin from the back of the house to the front isn't practical for many. :shock:

Noise? FFS.

Ghostie, my Dearest, they might have heard You if You had opened the window. :roll:

Me thinks it is only fair to comment that the wheelie bins in question down here are actually large, industrial metal ones. I'm not sure if they originally had plastic tops or not or if they've blown off. It sure as hell isn't easy lobbing Ghostie's rubbish into them, that's for sure, given the height of 'em.

My experience down south was with standard sized wheelie bins. They are a total pain. Even the foxes managed to get into 'em and the occasional neighbour's cat ... wasn't a pretty sight when they were both in there at the same time. :cry:

I think a half dozen bags dumped on the pavement covered in netting is far more of a risk, at least a wheely bin can be quickly and easily moved out of the way, clue there is in its name.

Yup, got to watch those foxes in Shetland, cunning burgers. So cunning I have yet to see one or evidence that they have been. Too cunning. Noise, a big truck squashing up rubbish cannot really be a quiet affair, but insulting folk at their work?

I wound embed the link, think it would be unfair to drain any bandwidth.

I remember the good old days when we used to play in the sea....

http://thomaspickard.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/05224.jpg

The Maldives I am sure will eventually clean up. As Shetland did.

Guest posiedon
Yup, got to watch those foxes in Shetland, cunning burgers. So cunning I have yet to see one or evidence that they have been. Too cunning.
I've seen two here, albeit dead ones, but unlinked didn't mention foxes in Shetland, did she? (down South) The clue is in the geography.

This is just you looking for trouble, which is all you seem to do here, you're a troll.

Noise? FFS.

I would, if I knew their addresses! :twisted:

Noise, a big truck squashing up rubbish cannot really be a quiet affair, but insulting folk at their work?

Oh but Peat, it is. A big truck compressing hellery is quieter, compared to the banging and clattering of the loading the bins in to it, that I'm taking about. We still have the same truck, and the same bins, just a different crew, and the difference is immense.

So, mentioning that excesssive and annoying levels of noise have been made for extended periods in the past where bins are operated, is "insulting" is it? Over-sensitive much? Perhaps your assessment of the issue might be a little more objective if you stepped outside the box of public service employee and boss - can't see the wood for the trees, and all that.