Unoriginal I know but thinking of moving to the Shetlands

splodger

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or just a general desire to shorten things.

Then how about the usual name which is simply "Shetland" without the islands bit.

Sorry, no offence meant I'm just rubbish at typing and it was easier to shorten it, won't do it again.

Thanks for all the responses, am planning to visit in May and go from there.

Any advice/opinions on the availability of jobs,(unskilled but not fussy)

On the job front - if you want to work, you'll never be out of work. The only people in Shetland that are outta work either can't or won't.

Not exactly the whole truth. There are also people out of work because of where they live as in either not having their own transport to get too and from work, not having any suitable public transport or, for the islands perhaps no work within commuting distance.

Always jobs in Lerwick but a lot of them require working hours that do not fit in with public transport and incidentally with some employers only seeming to go to young and cheap staff.

Not exactly the whole truth. There are also people out of work because of where they live as in either not having their own transport to get too and from work, not having any suitable public transport or, for the islands perhaps no work within commuting distance.

Hands up for that one. I had to leave my job in Lerwick because I found myself unable to get there any more. I'm using the time off to work towards my OU degree and raise the kids. I'd also like to stipulate, before I get accused of being a work-shy nobody, that I am not receiving any benefits as my partner works full time.

Hands up for that one. I had to leave my job in Lerwick because I found myself unable to get there any more. I'm using the time off to work towards my OU degree and raise the kids. I'd also like to stipulate, before I get accused of being a work-shy nobody, that I am not receiving any benefits as my partner works full time.

After having completed my degree part time, 240 points of which throught the OU over two years you certainly won't get a work shy comment from me - I know how much work OU modules take.

Good luck with the studies.

On the job front - if you want to work, you'll never be out of work. The only people in Shetland that are outta work either can't or won't.

There are also people out of work because of where they live as in either not having their own transport to get too and from work, not having any suitable public transport

I don't drive at the moment but would like to learn when/if I move up, are there driving schools in Shetland?

Also this may be very naive but can you not get to and from places by bike?

Thanks to everyone for the response it's very helpful and appreciated. :D

^^^ I agree very much with the work thing - I know when I've tried to find work back home during summer etc. my inability to drive has caused problems. Very few jobs fit in with the bus times, even in areas with 'good' transport links (note I'm using that in the loosest possible sense) such as Brae, Scalloway etc. Taxis are also expensive.

Cycling might not be such a bad idea as it would keep you fit, but it'll take a while depending where you're going...

don't think I ever spotted the runner when I lived nort

saw da cyclist lots o times tho, as twerto said, closely followed by the gritter some days in driving snow...thot he was mad at the time.

sometimes the gritter was that close if he'd fallen I'm sure he'd have ended up rite under the plough!