National Anthem

I tink you're aa weel on da waye tae decidin Scotland is too complicated noo ta hae a national anthem, and its also miles awa (jokin - dont start dat discussion - ageen)..

So whit aboot Shetland's national anthem?

My suggestions:

Osla's flittin

Da girl i left behind me

Rasmie Eunson

Tree owld men fae gloup.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flower of scotland hardly seems appropriate as it's entire and only lyrical content relates to battling the monarch of the country to the south of us whom we are legally in union with.

A bit like singing songs about how much you dislike your wife!

Flower of Scotland Lyrics

God save the Queen, the NATIONAL anthem's sixth verse is:

Lord grant that Marshal Wade

May by thy mighty aid

Victory bring.

May he sedition hush,

And like a torrent rush,

Rebellious Scots to crush.

God save the Queen!

Turns out the 'wife' doesn't like us much either!!!

Ha ha! :lol: :lol:

Thankfully this verse is now generally omitted.

Just realised I've just repeated Ghostrider's answer.

Duh!

It's a mess. Ireland is not part of Great Britain. Scotland does not have a national anthem ( 2 flags to compensate ) GSTQ is anti-Scottish. I'm with Billy Connolly. We should adopt the theme tune to the Archers as the National Anthem ( tum te tum te tum te tum tum te tum tum te tum tum )

Keep the lyrics as they are... this will not offend anyone and it will be easy for sports fans to remember.

God save the Queen, the NATIONAL anthem's sixth verse is:

Lord grant that Marshal Wade

May by thy mighty aid

Victory bring.

May he sedition hush,

And like a torrent rush,

Rebellious Scots to crush.

God save the Queen!

Thankfully this verse is now generally omitted.

It's political correctness gone mad! :)

Verse six may not be common knowledge but I think our serving MP should start a campaign to have the thing officially deleted from the National Anthem within days........or with parliament maybe months would do.

Alternative version from my schooldays started with

"God save our gracious cat

Feed it on bread and fat

God save our cat"

No idea how the rest went or if there was even any more.

• 5 weeks later...
Whit aboot da Banana Splits theme ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :whoop:

Excellent idea - something that people would enjoy songing - huge smiles all around I would image

It's a bit like going into a pub that is dead quiet and putting some Madness tracks on from the juke box.

For the youngsters on this forum, Madness were a popular and lively beat combo from yesteryear :wink:

Here's my 2p worth.

As an avid viewer of the 6 Nations rugby I'd have to say the French and Italian Anthems have the uplifting, rousing tunes that could just put a few more drops of adrenalin whizzing round especially when the crowd is belting them out. That could be the difference between winning and losing an international match. Also the Irish '..together standing tall...' new one is quite good. In fact the Welsh masses, whilst a slightly more laid back tune, must have some impact on the 15 men waiting for kick-off.

That leaves the Scots and the English.

FoS, whilst being a good folk song, just doesn't really do it for me when the crowd is trying to sing along to a pipe band. Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions as to what would be good choice - other than NOT the bloody Proclaimers please :)

And so to the English....why oh why do they feel they have the right to hijack the UK's national anthem for their own use. Same as they did with the flag for many years. Surely there must be enough musical talent within these two countries to come up with something suitable, uplifting, forward-looking and acceptable.

As an aside...I always chuckle when, in the Irish games, the song gets to the line 'Shoulder to shoulder...' and the camera pans across to see scrum-half Peter Stringer (5' and not many inches) usually standing between a couple of 2nd row giants so that, on a good day, the top of his head is lucky to reach their oxters :D :D

And Peter...if you're reading this (well, Shetlinkers, you never know :wink: )...that's not to take anything away from your scrum-halfing talents...I think you're brilliant.

Rule Britannia? Very uplifting and known the world over

Let's not forget, it was Scotland who abandoned God Save Our Queen. Regarding the flag, England were merely representing Britain, so why no wave the Union Jack?

You don't really get it, do you?

Rule Britannia, whilst it may be uplifting and well-known(in your opinion), would be more appropriate for use where Britain is the conglomeration of countries being represented - eg Olympic Games.

And regarding the flag...what are you talking about? When have England 'merely represented Britain' out of the numerous times in the past their supporters have waved the UK flag?

You don't really get it, do you?

Rule Britannia, whilst it may be uplifting and well-known(in your opinion), would be more appropriate for use where Britain is the conglomeration of countries being represented - eg Olympic Games.

And regarding the flag...what are you talking about? When have England 'merely represented Britain' out of the numerous times in the past their supporters have waved the UK flag?

The English fans used to wave the Union Jack at football matches, and if you didn't realise, it is because England are part of the UK. Look at the pictures from the world cup final in 66

And of course Rule Britannia would only be appropriate to represent Britain as opposed to Scotland :roll:

Are you being deliberately dim, or just trying to wind me up?

The English fans, at the 1966 World Cup, and at many sporting events before and since, waved the Union Flag because they didn't know any better - ignorance, if I'm being charitable, otherwise I might suggest arrogance. They - erroneously - assumed that England is the equivalent of the UK and so they automatically had the right to wave the UK flag.

They were NOT representing the UK - the other UK countries (Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, in case you were unaware) failed to qualify but England were playing for themselves only.

If the UK is the country being represented then go for it wave the Union flag and have GStQ, Rule Brittania or the Muppets theme tune as far as I'm concerned as the anthem, but FFS if it's a separate country wave your own bloody flag and sing your OWN song - thankfully the majority of English fans now seem to be taking that message on board and take the St George's cross with them - not quite got the song thing sorted yet.