National speed limit to be reduced to 50mph

"THE government is to cut the national speed limit from 60mph to 50mph on most of Britain’s roads, enforced by a new generation of average speed cameras. "

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/article5864847.ece

-----

Now, I don't see them erecting average speed cameras up here but this seems like a ridiculous thing. Hopefully the A970 is considered a "safe" enough road to be left at 60mph...

If that was a 50mph road, it could never be enforced due to lack of Police patrolling the road :roll:

"THE government is to cut the national speed limit from 60mph to 50mph on most of Britain’s roads, enforced by a new generation of average speed cameras. "

Won't need Police patrolling it...just some civil servant posting out the fines.

One issue that will apply to may roads on the mainland is that of traffic flow. Simply a greater number of vehicles travelling at 60mph can use a section of road compared to the same road with traffic at 50mph.

Far less technical is the thought that this may cause confusion. 60 unless signs say otherwise was quite simple and motorists are well used to it. Having a 50mph limit but faster on some roads is not so straightforward.

Anyway speed does not kill........speed at the wrong time and place does and there are plenty of times when I have driven below the speed limit as I did not think it was safe to go faster.