Local Food Reviews - Dining Out & Take Aways

Njugle

We had a meal for four at the Lerwick Hotel on the 24th of June. The choice was good, service was quick, efficient and courteous, the food was excellent, beautifully presented and plentiful. All staff were cheerful and pleasant and we had a great night. The price wasn't too excessive either.

The Lerwick hotel is definately better than the Shetland!!!

Last time we went to the Queens (admittedly was 2 years ago), the glasses were stuck to the tablecloth and dusty!!! yuck! The Kveldsro can be hit and miss - the food is generally not too bad, but the staff can be anything between downright rude, and too friendly, if thats possible!!

Best place for a takeaway is definately a roll from Slotties on a saturday afternoon... mmmm Cures all known alcohol related problems, as long as you remember to get there before the grills are switched of!!! :)

Reading the various reviews I have seen here, it seems as if eating out is all a bit hit and miss in Lerwick. I have been to a few places and have been impressed by the restaurant at the museum but felt it was somehwat overpriced; particularly as I have only been outside of the "tourist season". I have also been twice by the Golden Coach restaurant at the corner of Harbour St and thought the food there was excellent. Eating at both Oslas was an Ok experience and eating at Flames left me hungry and attacking the biscuit tin when I go home. The fish and chips at the Fort chippie was good although there was much batter on the fish which made the portion of fish look a lot bigger than it actually was.

However, my wife and I have never been left hungry when buying the Ken Hom chinese meal for two (box A) at Tesco for about £7 a few times. Cheap to buy, easy to prepare and the food is very tasty.

I will persevere in trying other Lerwick establishments, though.

To be fair to the Lerwick hotel, the meal we had there before was great, service ok, last night was different. there were others there i know who did complain last night and the waitress could not believe the person was not happy with her meal. I do think as well that the waiting staff may be underpaid and overworked, but its the customers that keep it busy. It will be a long time before i go back again, or the other person i was speaking too.

After two less than great recent experiences at the Lerwick Hotel I'm afraid they won't be getting my custom again for a while but I think it really does depend on the chef and waiting staff on any given night as to whether you get good food/service.

I had ordered a dish with 'sticky rice' and although the meal was good the rice had obviously been packed into a mould and microwaved as it was rock solid and like a lump of rubber. I did complain to the waitress who came back from the kitchen and told me 'the chef says its meant to be like that' even though I was holding it on the end of my fork like a giant lollipop. She then just shrugged and walked away.

The second time was a few months later and me and my pal had ordered a three course meal and a bottle of wine while we were sitting in the bar area. Our starters were carried through and left on a table and it was only after we asked how long our starters would be that we were pointed in the direction of two, by now cold, plates of food. Our mains arrived 10mins apart and we had to chase up the side dishes of veg and chips. When we asked a passing waiter as to the whereabouts of our bottle of wine he just said 'dunno, you aren't my table' and walked away leaving us to make a trip to the bar to get it.

On both occasions they didn't have many full tables to serve so it wasn't as though they were rushed off their feet but it does put you off taking visitors there for a special meal. My mother-in-law is coming home soon so she will be taken to the Shetland Museum instead.

Went to Hay's Dock for lunch today - the food was superb and service excellent. Well worth a visit but best to book as we were lucky to get a table as it is obviously very popular. Looking forward to trying their evening meals though!