Local Food Reviews - Dining Out & Take Aways

Njugle

• 2 weeks later...

It does seem that The Tattie Shop have really upped their Game; Reestit Mutton Soup, Baguettes and awesome home made Chilli burgers... Pretty much my favourite lunchtime takeaway these days. My one minor criticism would be with the cheese burgers. For some reason they tend to lay the cheese, salad, then finally the burger on top so the cheese doesn't melt. A cardinal sin I say, for which the only fair punishment is public hanging.

I went to that Hungarian place on the Street the other day. On first impression it does seem bizarrely amateurish, but on further inspection the food is surprisingly good. They basically serve a dish called langos - a traditional fried flat-bread. It's simple, but really tasty. Kinda like a cross between a large, flattened doughnut and French toast. Heart attack-tastic, but amazing nonetheless.

I haven't really tried anything else there, but the menu looks somewhat limited. Pretty sure it's a business front for an international money laundering operation, but I've been wrong about these things in the past. Like that time I mistakenly accused Slotty's of being a bordello. Disaster.

Anyway, breakfast-wise I'm still digging the Skippy Dock, as they really fill their bacon rolls and the bread is pretty fresh. Plus the staff are always smiley, except the one on the till whom I think may be in charge. She's pretty angry lookin' most of the time. Maybe I offended her in a past life. I get that a lot.

The olive tree still do a mean steak-roll and sort of remind me of the deli-style eateries down sooth. Unfortunately the slightly more sophisticated clientèle they're going for is reflected in a similarly up-market price tag. Still, they do a roaring trade - largely thanks to the proximity of certain SIC departments I'll wager. In fact, it's almost an upstairs downstairs situation, with the boiler suite and builder's bum brigade frequenting the Skippy for their bacon rolls, whilst the chattering, middle-management SIC types head for The Olive tree for their Lattes, glutten-free wraps and mercurial back-stabbing, masquerading as playful gossip in an attempt to further their careers.

Despite all this - and with a new Steak House rumoured to be opening up where John Leask's travel used to be - I still struggle to find a place at the weekend where you can just drop in, get some decent food and spend a while catching up with folk. I'm thinking of a place like that Central Perk cafe in Friends, but with food. Except maybe without the cast of friends and with a few more sofas.

It does seem that The Tattie Shop have really upped their Game; Reestit Mutton Soup, Baguettes and awesome home made Chilli burgers... Pretty much my favourite lunchtime takeaway these days. My one minor criticism would be with the cheese burgers. For some reason they tend to lay the cheese, salad, then finally the burger on top so the cheese doesn't melt. A cardinal sin I say, for which the only fair punishment is public hanging.

Tell him how you want it made, he prefers customers to be 100% happy, you should try his jalepeno burgers. nom nom.

I could suggest this to him next time I am in if you would like? Im in there most days just bugging him because I can!

The olive tree still do a mean steak-roll and sort of remind me of the deli-style eateries down sooth. Unfortunately the slightly more sophisticated clientèle they're going for is reflected in a similarly up-market price tag. Still, they do a roaring trade - largely thanks to the proximity of certain SIC departments I'll wager. In fact, it's almost an upstairs downstairs situation, with the boiler suite and builder's bum brigade frequenting the Skippy for their bacon rolls, whilst the chattering, middle-management SIC types head for The Olive tree for their Lattes, glutten-free wraps and mercurial back-stabbing, masquerading as playful gossip in an attempt to further their careers.

Despite all this - and with a new Steak House rumoured to be opening up where John Leask's travel used to be - I still struggle to find a place at the weekend where you can just drop in, get some decent food and spend a while catching up with folk. I'm thinking of a place like that Central Perk cafe in Friends, but with food. Except maybe without the cast of friends and with a few more sofas.

:lik:

Enjoying your opinions! Olive tree good but they seem to be cutting back their range - on the few times I've been lately there's been none of the lovely roast lamb and beef they used to have.