Local Food Reviews - Dining Out & Take Aways

Njugle

Ahh that reminds me..

I was at the queens 2 or 3 weeks back now.. and i was a bit miffed to say the least.. it was all very strange.. the food looked and generally tasted nice.. but it was all stone cold.. the soup had skin on it.. the langoustines were cold.. and when it came to the main course they served up all the main plates.. and then we sat waiting for the vegetables to come and by the time they came. the mains were stone cold...

I know its a task to serve out for 35 ppl at the same time. but simple thing like bringing out the vegetables first.. and serving the soup as it was being taken out from the pot. would of made a huge difference to what was quite a nice meal had it been hot.. at least my chili cheese cake and ice cream was cold.

Despite my review I would consider going back as a group of 4 for a meal but never for 35 again.. but even that i found the £19 per head quite a lot for what you got.. even if it was hot.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been to the new kebab shop - Turkish Delight? We went a couple of days ago and it's really good. I thought the Turkish owner looked familiar and it turns out he used to own a Turkish restaurant in Aberdeen called Mangal. We had a meal there a couple of years ago and it was spectacular. Anyway, he says he's turning the upstairs into a restaurant which should be brilliant and if its as good as the one in Aberdeen, might force some of the other restaurants in the town to make more of an effort, mainly the two Chineses which have really gone downhill recently. Ghurka kitchen is an exception, the food and service there is always excellent!!

Has anyone been to the new kebab shop - Turkish Delight? We went a couple of days ago and it's really good. I thought the Turkish owner looked familiar and it turns out he used to own a Turkish restaurant in Aberdeen called Mangal. We had a meal there a couple of years ago and it was spectacular. Anyway, he says he's turning the upstairs into a restaurant which should be brilliant and if its as good as the one in Aberdeen, might force some of the other restaurants in the town to make more of an effort, mainly the two Chineses which have really gone downhill recently. Ghurka kitchen is an exception, the food and service there is always excellent!!

Where is it ?

I had a seafood platter at the Spiggie Hotel in the summer and they poured garlic butter over everything! Fresh fish and Garlic!!!

What's wrong with fish and garlic?

Garlic butter does maybe sound a bit rich, but one of the nicest fish dishes I've had in a long time was at a lovely Spanish restaurant in Glasgow called Cafe Andaluz. They did seared sea bass and drizzled olive oil with garlic and basil over the top.

It were lovely! :D

Perhaps a bit of a Shetland thing. The idea of 'spoiling' fresh fish with flavourings. A lot of folk think that. A lot of the time it's true, and the fisheries college seem to uphold that idea, which is not always a good thing, in my opinion.

Eg. Fresh caught whitings are pretty dull, but stick them in a green curry for instance, and they become fantastic. mmm.

I had smoked scallops at the Spiggie hotel last year and can only praise them for it. Absolutely brilliant, however good pan-fried plain scallops may be. Though again, they are sublime with garlic and butter.

I did hear from someone that a lot of fish dishes at the Hotel included garlic, too much of a good thing....?

I'm not denying that good, fresh fish is great unadulterated Njugle, but I think that being a bit adventurous is often very worthwhile.

I suppose it depends on your mood. Sometimes I like trout fried in nothing but a bit of butter/oil, and other times I like it baked in a parcel with loads of strong flavours, maybe coriander or lime for instance..........mmmm, now I'm hungry.

I like trout fried
8O

Yes, it's true! A plate of unadulterated fish gives you the absolute flavour of the fish. However, with just a little bit of flavouring (spice, herb, etc.) added to the dish this flavour can be enhanced and a wholey new culinary experience can be achieved.

I do agree some of these half baked chefs will very often ruin food by just dolloping far far too much spice and or herbs .. usually garlic ... to things so you can taste nothing but that particular taste.

Try smoked haddock in milky butter sauce and crispy fried bacon rashers. Now that is a great mixture of flavour!

Perhaps a bit of a Shetland thing. The idea of 'spoiling' fresh fish with flavourings. A lot of folk think that. A lot of the time it's true, and the fisheries college seem to uphold that idea, which is not always a good thing, in my opinion.

:wink:

Nope, you'll have to try again, I'm still not getting it :wink:

I do like fish with all different kinds of flavourings - including garlic - my gripe was that there were about 7 different kinds of fish including shellfish, all cooked in a slighltly different way, and who knows there may have been herbs and other flavouring too -but the whole lot was swamped in garlic butter, I might just as well have been eating fish fingers...

I do like fish with all different kinds of flavourings - including garlic - my gripe was that there were about 7 different kinds of fish including shellfish, all cooked in a slighltly different way, and who knows there may have been herbs and other flavouring too -but the whole lot was swamped in garlic butter, I might just as well have been eating fish fingers...

Is du pleepsin?