Passport for Shetland

bradgate5

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We may as well be independent. :wink:

Yes - especially since passports will not be required for travel between the Isle of Man and the United Kingdom: our government was opposed to the plan, and negotiated an opt-out.

They did not want the Gurkhas in and now they don’t want people from the Shetlands. But hay they want your income tax and fuel duty and road tax ect. What a bunch of crooks the Uk government is Some times I cant help think that the IRA had a point. Where is Guy Fawkes bring him back

It is no wonder they wanted to be exempt from the freedom of information act all the cash is in the Isle of Man. God help us if a P they had to produce ID to go there

I personally think this whole idea of a passport is utterly ridiculous!! I have older members of family in Shetland that travel to the Mainland, one of them being an old lady who doesn't have a driving license or a passport and at her stage of life realistically has no use for them either. Why should people have to delve into their pensions to fund silliness from the government?

Why do we need a passport its just plain stupid if we were leaving the country i could understand it but its wrong. Its another tax by the back door; they charge so much for passport because they claim that they are a luxery. I just would love to see there reaction if they impossed the same rules on travel out of london.

Why do we need a passport its just plain stupid if we were leaving the country i could understand it but its wrong. Its another tax by the back door; they charge so much for passport because they claim that they are a luxery. I just would love to see there reaction if they impossed the same rules on travel out of london.

But there is (well, to some extent) - see my thread earlier.

As I said, if I want to fly from London to another airport within the UK, some airlines want a passport and not just photo ID. That also applies to air travel within other cities in the UK, say Newcastle to Bristol, for example.

However, with regard to boats from London to elsewhere - well, too many bridges in the Thames so cruise ships don't go that far up the Thames any more and even the salmon have a job swimming in it beyond Blackfriars Bridge ...

... joking aside, I do understand your point, especially concerning the boat.

As a point of interest though, does anyone know if you now need a passport to go from Southampton to the Isle of Wight?

It would seem so. When you get up here watch out were clearly a very high security risk. must be all the pictures of the flaming torches they see every year.

Lets face it if any Islamic terror group were to be picking a target i can honestly say that we are way down the list.

The difference between a Londoner and a Shetlander flying or going by ferry is that we don't have a choice.

As a Londoner you don't need to fly. we do, or were faced with the best part of a three day trip just to get to an hospital visit.

restricting the access to travel in the UK to those with proper Id is taking away some of our liberties. next it will be limited to those with large estates the conservatives under Major were keen on the Victorian period seems like we have been taken back to serfdom tied to the place of our birth by law.

The difference between a Londoner and a Shetlander flying or going by ferry is that we don't have a choice.

As a Londoner you don't need to fly. we do, or were faced with the best part of a three day trip just to get to an hospital visit.

Yep, I agree.

As a point of interest though, does anyone know if you now need a passport to go from Southampton to the Isle of Wight?

Seems like that may be the case:

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/4245814.Passengers_may_need_passport_to_get_to_Isle_of_Wight/

I've just realised I need to update my passport in 2 years time.

http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/fees.asp

A couple of years ago I sent off my photo driving licence to update the address... then remembered the next day I'd need it in a fortnight's time to fly to Shetland... yes, the air turned blue, I can tell you, since the DVLA isn't noted for its speed.

I ended up going to the local railway station and getting a photocard, after I phoned and asked the airlines and found out it would do for ID. I thought I'd have to buy a ticket or something but no, I got given a blank one, had the photo booth, pointed out, and was left to my own devices to fill in my details and seal the sticky plastic... which kind of made a mockery of the whole Photo ID thing :)

In the end the licence came back the day before, so I never used the Photocard.