The Big Lunch - Aith

khitajrah

What do you think about this?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about this?

• I'd love to attend something like this.
    • I'd love to attend AND help organise something like this.
    • No, thanks.

So..... what do folk think about this?

The Big Lunch

What is the big lunch?

Basically, it's a party in your street, in everyone's street. On 19th July we're asking the people of Britain to stop what they're doing and sit down to lunch together. Why? Well for lots of reasons really but mainly just cos we think it'll be fun.

So what exactly is the big idea?

Imagine a summer's day on which millions of us, throughout the UK, sit down to have lunch together, with our neighbours in the middle of our streets, around our tower blocks and on every patch of common ground. The food, entertainment and decorations we will have either grown, cooked, or created ourselves. This will be a day to break bread with our neighbours, to put a smile on Britain's face.

Most of us are shy, many of us lead single lives and even when we are together often go our own way. We all know about the problems in our society and don't need to be preached at about them. But inside almost everyone there is a notion that despite our differences, the ties that bind us are important.

The shared enjoyment of eating together, laughter, play, music and conversation bring us together and for all the fact that we are so fabulously different in our outlook and experience on many things, we know a simple truth - together we are strong. Wouldn't it be great if for just one day we remind ourselves about all that is good about us and bring about a moment that ignites a spark?

It may be tricky, it may feel slightly uncomfortable to start with. It takes a bit of courage to stop being a stranger. But think of the prize - to be able to walk down the street and into the wider neighbourhood and realise how many good people there are: people who, acting together, can create a real sense of community - a word that in Latin means; "together, in gift".

So... if you're up for it, try growing something, making something or generally getting stuck in for the Big Lunch. No one is going to tell you how to do it as your ideas will be perfect for you. If you want any prompting we've gathered together lots of ideas that might set you on the road for a day that at worst might be fun and at best could start to change your life in unexpected ways!

It's your party. All we're doing is giving you an excuse but if you need more than that, then there is a remarkable reason to hold your Big Lunch.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay!

I've spoken to the folk at the Aith School and the Leisure Centre. Permission has been granted to use the football pitch and the car parks. The folk at the Leisure centre have also volunteered to help set things up if they aren't busy.

I'm just waiting to get ahold of someone from the Aith Hall committee to see if it can be booked, just in case it's pouring down with rain.

It's all still provisional just yet, but if the hall is free for a back-up plan, I'm going to go ahead and organise it!

^ Thank you for that wonderfully sarcastic and pointless comment Medi. Although it has to be said that we are paying out the ass to maintain and play on the Eid pitch, the only people to be doing so I might add, as such it would be nice if we had it even mentioned to us that such a large scale event could be taking place on it. The pitch is in poor enough condition as it is.

That said, I actually think it's quite a good idea.

^ Thank you for that wonderfully sarcastic and pointless comment Medi. Although it has to be said that we are paying out the ass to maintain and play on the Eid pitch, the only people to be doing so I might add, as such it would be nice if we had it even mentioned to us that such a large scale event could be taking place on it. The pitch is in poor enough condition as it is.

That said, I actually think it's quite a good idea.

My apologies, no one mentioned at the Leisure Centre or school about contacting anyone else. I understand your perfectly valid concerns. Perhaps the majority of picnicing could be done on the lower hockey field leaving the pitch for games? Football, cricket, baseball? Whatever the kids want to do.

I only found out about The Big Lunch last night. It's not definite, I'm just making enquiries. There will be a lot to think about and organise, but I'm keen!

I canna see a few folk havin a picnic on the pitch is goin tae cause it any problems, we have a match the 18th and the next one is three weeks after.

Although we're paying maintenance on the pitch we can't expect exclusive use of it!

I imagine it'll be used at the Lifeboat Gala, fingers crossed they'll be no pony rides or Oscar Charlie landing on it though! :)

Yeah, to be fair, on reflection it will hardly tip the pitch over the edge hivin folk sociallising on it. I didn't mean to come across as a miserly scrooge character! It is a community pitch after all, not for us to decide who uses it, my apologies Khit. A word of warning though, if you used the lower "hockey" pitch you might find yourself knee deep before you know whats happened! :lol:

:shock: I never thought o Oscar Charlie and the ponies Kevin! :lol:

^ Yes please!

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. It's everybody's party, so whatever folk want to contribute is brilliant. All I've done is organise a venue (and will be sorting out legal mumbo-jumbo) and spreading the word!

I'm working on a poster right now which should be up shortly.