Stolen goose eggs

snow

Does the thief who stole the Goose eggs from under the sitting Mama in Firth,realise what he or she has done?

We have looked after this little flock of geese for years now and made sure that they could breed and grow in a "Safe" enviroment..

You know who you are and you should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself.

Over the week--end the first born gosling went missing and when a neighbour and i got suspicios as to why the Mama was still sitting on the nest and no other goslings were appearing to hatch,,,A neighbour went to check and someone had removed the eggs and replaced them with stones..

This ia a callous act and should be condemed...These birds are a protected species and should be left alone....

If anyone has any information they should contact the lacal SSPCA inspector

(*** Mod - topic updated ***)

Snow i doubt the person who did that will be reading Shetlink. Why would anyone want wild goslings there are enough domestic ones soon to be about. Most likely to be some youth with nowt better to do.

Highly unlikely, why would a "youth" replace the eggs with stones, which would appear to be a premeditated and knowledgeable act relying on the gooses instinct to continue to incubate rather than lay new clutch.

If in doubt, blame the "youth of today". :wink:

Have to agree this was premeditated and cruel as this goose will have to wait another year before producing again.All that effort for nothing. particularly with the one gosling gone as wellThe disturbance of nesting site and theft is illegal " Wild life Protection Act 1981 revised 2006 " go to a breeder and ask for or buy like everyone else :evil:

Does the thief who stole the Goose eggs from under the sitting Mama in Firth,realise what he or she has done?

We have looked after this little flock of geese for years now and made sure that they could breed and grow in a "Safe" enviroment..

PostForum: Shetland News Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:36 am Subject: Wanting to move to Shetland

Have gone through my first winter and it was nothing like as bad as I thought It was going to be....no matter what the weather there is .

Years.... Did you bring them with you. :!:

Nit Picking does not suit...

I personally have only helped care for the geese over the last 2 yrs.

There are others who have taken care of them for last 6 yrs and it really does not matter who and how long it does not take away from the fact that this was a despicable act and that no-one has the right to steal eggs from a nest.We have a duty to protect the enviroment that we live in.

What kind of goose? Domestic or wild?

To be honest, there are more greylags about than ever before and they are a pest. There are far too many of them around, eating all the spring grass and sh1tting everywhere. Loathesome things.

Domestic ones are different - they are a farm animal and so it is up to the crofter to look after them.

as far as im aware these geese are shetland geese as i used to feed them when i stayed in sandside (well the juvenile males used to come for food while the female was on the nest )

it would seem to me that someone wants the eggs for hatching , but there again there was a house in leaside that had 1 of the males in there garden a couple years back :?:

or some crofter sick of the geese eating his grass

doubt that one

if only because half a dozen or so tender young geese freshly shot in the autumn by said crofter would bring in more cash than a couple dozen lambs, much tastier too :lol:

I've heard of them pricking the eggs to make them sit and not lay again,

so why not swap them out for stones? same principal...

and if someone wanted them for hatching then why replace the eggs with stones? it only stops them laying more eggs....

totally agree, they are way tastier(and better earners) than them scrawny lambs tho ;)