Rabbit cull - 20p a tail

peeriebryan

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Just a quick query to check if there is a time of year you cannot shoot rabbits? I mind talking to someone the other day who claimed you can't (legally) shoot if theres an R in the month ie no rabbiting May, June, July, Aug. As you may be leaving young to starve in the nest. Is there a Shetland bye-law to this effect that I've not heard of previously?

Cheers

P.S. Meat from rabbits that time of year is really only fit for the dog though unless you get young pre-breeding rabbits.

@ Landrover: There is no law against shooting them at any time of year. The idea of leaving them be in Feb, March and April was because they were either full of young or milk.

The cold winter tis year has wiped out a lot of them, it would seem.

Dosen't anyone use drop boxes up here to catch rabbits. Most effective way there is.

Where we were I've known well over a hundred caught in a night. Bit of a sausage though when youve got a hundered plus necks to ring though :shock:

Bit of expense in rabbit proofing a decent lengthed section of fence they cross and digging in the boxes but work a treat if you manage them right.

If they can have a rabiit prof fence 1000's of k long in Oz reckon crofters could do sections on their land. Start a rabbit hat company to go with the dog food one!

we have 2 1/2 km of fencing which at the cost of the wire alone would be £2500 plus all the other bits. we are a small croft imagine a big one. plus the loss of a bit of grass would never equal the cost. a few ferrets and nets are a lot cheaper.

i did feel sorry for them during the snow there was a group next to our hay store eating the spilt hay.

Dir had it very hard dis winter, been a right Pain here, have eaten all the bark off the small trees her in the garden, had to put quite a lot out of their misery!!:evil: Spoke to a fellow that said they had eaten the bottom planking of his wodden fence making a right mess. Chap out the road got over 100 in a couple of nights in his Yard, eaten all his neaps an Kale! :evil:

I don't know why they don't do a proper cull with machine guns mounted in the Coastguard helicopter.
How would you like being shot in the muckle sphincter wi a 50mm canon while having it aaf? :wink:

I'm going to make a wild assumption that you are not talking about taking a close-up picture with a 50mm lens on a Canon camera? Even if it were, I'm not sure I'd like anyone specifically taking a picture of my ass!

If it is a big-arsed gun you are talking about I wouldn't like it one bit, but then again, fortunately I'm not a rabbit! :shock: Not that it is probably any better getting blasted to smithereens with a shotgun!