Charitable Trust

Caeser

^^

You're right Shetlander, there are many who don't need it, there are many who will get it because they are already on benefits of some kind, but there are a lot of proud old folk who will not claim, and it is those people who we should be concerned about

It's a bit like the free school meals debate which has gone on in some areas throughout the UK. Some people don't want to display their poverty by claiming free school meals, so some kids go without. Hence some authorities opted for the free meals for all strategy.

It's always going to be an almost impossible thing to get right, but IMHO saving a few hundred thousand, compared to the millions being thrown away on hellery, just isn't right.

I’m not disagreeing with you – but just because it’s being peed against the wall for one thing doesn’t make it okay to continue to be peed against the wall for something else. I'm sure we both agree on where cuts need to be made elsewhere but pensioners who are better off need to show some willingness to bear the brunt just the same as everybody else.

Some pensioners may indeed be too proud to claim benefits that they may be eligible for but it’s not up to the local public purse to compensate for that. I would hope that all previous recipients would be given sufficient information by those who administer the bonus on what alternative support they may be entitled to and where they can go for advice on how to get it.

• 9 years later...

Is this for real? This is how the SCT describes one of the latest trustees they've appointed to freck up our money.

She is a highly accomplished professional with a vast array of experience leading national and international organisations, teams and operations.  Most recently, she was Directing Intelligence Operations for US Special Forces on the Continent of Africa.

https://www.shetlandcharitabletrust.co.uk/shetland-charitable-trust-appoints-vice-chair-and-two-new-trustees

Two things, if true, WTF are we doing with an ex U.S. spook dabbling among our cash....

Secondly, isn't there some sort of State Secrets legislation someplace that stops retired spies bragging about it. Maybe someone should let Trump know before Putin makes Google his friend.

Two things, if true, WTF are we doing with an ex U.S. spook dabbling among our cash....

Secondly, isn't there some sort of State Secrets legislation someplace that stops retired spies bragging about it. Maybe someone should let Trump know before Putin makes Google his friend.

There is only one thing that Shetland is doing with a Yanky spook. It is pandering to him for no good reason.

^ I'm most concerned about what was going through the minds of the incestous bunch of rogues who appointed her, when they took that decision.

*If* she was appointed because of the person she is as an individual in her private life, then fine, no problem. I known next to nothing about her, but she seems a nice enough person on that level. However, *if*, as is their usual, she was appointed because they perceived her life experience/CV brought beneficial assets to the future management of the trust. Just what in hell are they up to that a career military spook in a foreign country is going to 'benefit' them with.

Edited by Ghostrider

Personally, I'm still more than a little p*ss*d that she was appointed rather than elected.... :cry:

Yeah, there's that too.

Although that also applies to all who appointed her. Every one of them only hold 'office' as a result of mutual back scratching sessions and/or brown nosing.

Hell of a way to run an 'public' organisation, especially an allegedly 'charitable' one.

Is this for real? This is how the SCT describes one of the latest trustees they've appointed to freck up our money.

She is a highly accomplished professional with a vast array of experience leading national and international organisations, teams and operations.  Most recently, she was Directing Intelligence Operations for US Special Forces on the Continent of Africa.

https://www.shetlandcharitabletrust.co.uk/shetland-charitable-trust-appoints-vice-chair-and-two-new-trustees

Google is your friend!  Gawd, they haven't half put some spin on it.  Let's minus the spin, shall I?  30 years in the US army, a cyber management consultancy business less than a year old, refers to living in "The Shetlands" on one website, being American and can't pronounce their house name, and "more recently" working in a local shop.  That's without Jake's help.  For someone allegedly familiar with the ins and outs of the internet, I would have thought they would have perhaps locked down their personal info a tad more.

So, has she been appointed so she can hack into Sustainable Shetland's membership database or persuade us how marvellous the SCT is?  Time will tell.

300+ million in the bank , no family in shetland should be hungry no family in shetland should worry about turning the heating on , sitting on nest eggs at some point they should be allowed to hatch

As the the the new special agent from the USA I've no family connection but she is a superb person with a strong track record lets hope she can shake up the establishment

As the the the new special agent from the USA I've no family connection but she is a superb person with a strong track record lets hope she can shake up the establishment

More likely she's being used by the bunch of superficial numpties who appointed her in an attempt to enhance the inclusiveness and diversity image of the board of trustees.

There's more work been done on PR and image at the SCT in the last few years than in its entire history. I guess that PR 'company' they appointed wants to keep on getting their £14k on a regular basis....

Any single individual who thinks they can shake up that viper's den is only heading in one of two directions, on the road to Coventry, or being un-appointed.

Only the public en masse setting about them will breach that ivory tower.

I have no connection to, or have anything in the slightest against her as a person either. I do have a very great deal against the SCT and how its trustees operate, and who some of the existing ones before this appointment were though, and what some of them percieve this appointment could bring to the table for them and the trust in terms of career and life skils. They're bad enough as they are before you add military intelligence skills in to the mix, and what in hell are they plotting that they believe such skills to be beneficial to them and the organisation

This is a group of people put together to oversee the investment of a fund so as to achieve best returns, to decide upon and oversee the distribution of fund monies for the benefit of the disadvantaged within Shetland, and to provide facilities and services to benefit all Shetlanders, which aren't feasible with other available funding sources, nothing more nothing less.

The vast majority of people who were trustees prior to these latest appointments, even if they were all 'nice people', bring life and career skills and experience that its very difficult to see how they are relevant to the desirable skills for the role, this just takes it a step further. What exactly do the trustees perceive themselves, and the role they fill to be, and what are they trying to turn themselves and the role they fill in to?