Chris Hodge & Judane's

Tomblands

Guest Anonymous
^^^^ An acquaintance of mine who used to work for "Clydesdale", remember them? Said, that in his sales training he was told that behind every "Great Offer", was a "Rip-Off".. Local shops may not make great offers, but they seldom make rip-offs.

So I wonder,,, how many rip-offs are behind Hodgies great offers. :D

That is not such an easy question. If the other shops in the area sell something for £1.99 and I buy the same thing wholesale for 10p and sell it for 99p am I ripping off my customers or offering them the chance to buy things for half anyone else charges?.

Very good point. But, if the likes of Hodge sells what appears to be the same item, when it is actually a "B grade", can a like for like comparison really be made?

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^ Having never darkened Dodgy's door (at the present location anyway....I can get the same stuff he sells cheaper on ebay), I have to ask a stupid question....

Are "B" Grade items clearly marked as such in Dodgy's, or are you left to go over them with a fine tooth comb and decide for yourself?

Guest Anonymous

^^^^Sadly, as a quirk of UK trading laws, there is no absolute requirement to state that goods are "Seconds", "B grade", or whatever. Just so long as you don't advertise it as "New", when it is not.

Most recent example I found was the Co-op, selling DVD players for £17.99. They didn't state anything other than the price, so the fact that the cases had scuff marks, and the remote controls had flat batteries already fitted didn't really matter.

I will add that most reputable retailers, will always make note that any item is "Ex Display", "Factory Reconditioned", "B Grade", etc.

^^^ I'm surprised our "Nanny State" hasn't caught up with that one before now. I suppose they've been far too busy slapping all sorts of regulations on stuff that really doesn't matter, or only affects a very few people, to notice something that could potentially affect everyone every time they make any sort of material goods purchase.

^^^ Having never darkened Dodgy's door (at the present location anyway....I can get the same stuff he sells cheaper on ebay), I have to ask a stupid question....

How can you tell if you have never been in the place.... :wink:

Actually - I *have* found something really good in there (well, a neighbour did and told me about it...) - and at a good price - and have just had a quick check on ebay, cheaper than there too. They have great bakeware at the moment, good quality stuff. It's not cheap but its really good value for the quality. A similar item in Lakeland costs double the price, and on ebay an item I bought for £3.60, the cheapest price I found was £6.98 inc postage. (It was cheaper without the postage, admittedly).

But - in general I agree.

How can you tell if you have never been in the place.... :wink:

Well, try as I might, I cannot entirely escape from his "promotional activities" :roll: ....an I heer fae dem dat dus geen till im. :wink:

Over the past few days I have been watching daytime tv....old episodes of Morse.....and one well known furniture firm (and one that shouts at me during the adverts) has been asking me to believe that I can buy a settee that was over £2000 for just £799 and I will get a free garden table set priced at either £799 or £999 for free. don't see how these people get away with it but I think it makes Chris Hodge more like an angel than a rogue.

Over the past few days I have been watching daytime tv....old episodes of Morse.....and one well known furniture firm (and one that shouts at me during the adverts) has been asking me to believe that I can buy a settee that was over £2000 for just £799 and I will get a free garden table set priced at either £799 or £999 for free. don't see how these people get away with it but I think it makes Chris Hodge more like an angel than a rogue.

Just goes to show what their getting it for in the first place. :lol:

I've bought two thing from chris hodge, one was a bairns

fishing rod which had no handle on the reel and the other was a peerie swiss army style knife that snapped while cutting up a piece o bait (both events happened 1 hour after purchase)! i returned both and was offered replacements..... i chose the alternative refund option. ;-)

:D Are "B" Grade items clearly marked as such in Dodgy's, or are you left to go over them with a fine tooth comb and decide for yourself?

:D

having worked for "the dodgy hodgy" now for nearly 2 years i can tell one and all that the goods sold at the warehouse are not (b grade or seconds.) i do know this as i deal with all the paperwork and suppliers and the cost of each item, its simple the more you buy the cheaper they are.

yes he sells some items which i think are cr*p to my eye, but to others its the bees knees, but at least you have a choice, if he goes then there will be no choice.

:roll:

^^^ You'd best explain to Auld Rasmie why his breeks were as they were then (previous page), and what about someone earlier on (can't remember if it was this thread or in another), who made a claim that some CDs were stamped "Promo Only" "Not For Resale"?

I agree, choice is excellent, but given some of Hodge's antics, particularly the more recent ones, I'm finding myself seriously questioning if he's a suitable person to be the one providing part of that choice.

P.S. Why does my quote have an interloping grinning smiley in it now?

Guest Anonymous

^^^^ Better hae a guid look at yun smiley,, Hit's meybe a B Grade een :wink:

Ir joost a special 'promo only' wan :lol: Dey get i da guid gear be mistook, ir so dey'll say. du kens da wye... :twisted:

What Dodgy Hodgy sells mostly is Seconds or B grade stock.. And yes there is some quality in there.

I bought 2 pairs of work jeans there once, they wore well enough but they were certainly below normal manufacturing standards. One pair had pockets so deep that I had to sew them up to half length, and the other pair had pockets so short that my change fell out when I sat down. But, hell, at £12 a pair I couldn't complain.

Well I myself have worked for Hodge for over 2 years, and have bought many products (including jeans), and yes there is a lot of 'tat', but I am happy with my products. As for the jeans, I have to doubt the authenticity of your comments. If you weren't happy, you could have taken them back for a full refund, or a BRAND NEW pair (as any stock on the shelves, unless otherwise marked, is straight from the factory). As I hardly think you would be happy to lose £12, just because you "couldn't be bothered" to take it back. Also we do have changing rooms, so why not try before you buy.

Sorry, as it was my first time on here I messed up the quote thing. I will do better next time.

And don't bother with the usual "grade b" writing or any similar jokes! :roll:

***MOD Edit*** I have edited your previous post so it quotes correctly. If you notice your mistake soon enough afterwards then you can use the 'Edit' button to correct your post.

***Sheltie Celt Edit*** Cheers for that!!! :D