Chris Hodge & Judane's

Tomblands

wow, thats a little deeper than I was hinting at with someone like Tesco as a large retailer (for example only). The benefits to us as islanders would be quality goods, a reliable supplier with a good selection of goods. where as, like now with Hodge, there is nothing but a hit and miss experience and a hit and miss chance that the bottom will fall out once you get it home.

There are benefits with larger retailers that you can not get from smaller (Hodge only here) sellers.

Me, I would like to see a better supermarket as this is where i spend the most money each week and i would like a supermarket and definitely not a Hodge type outlet covering the town. so i am happy to see Hodge closed down.

I went down south last week and I felt brainwashed. I could see the Hodge signs in the road signs, i just dont like what he does, and i no about the likes of supermarkets and how they put smaller people out of business, but that is the way it is and yes we would benefit from supermarkets and cheap quality goods with some guarantee. yes, i wish the things we do buy were not so cheap to buy, because someone somewhere has been unethical, but as a buyer i like what i buy and I would feel confident buying in tesco. a confidence i don't have with hodge.

(khitajrah's man)

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question I keep finding myself asking myself, is, would the outcome of the appeal have been the same if the election results had been different? And that doesn't refer to just Mrs Miller's position, that refers to the whole shebang, right the way to the top of everything.

I like a good conspiracy theory as much as anyone else but you're stretching things a bit to much here. I think you need to get out more. :D

Oh, I'm not peddling conspiracy theories, simply assessing the known facts, considering the unknown possible facts, and identifying the potential routes that could have led to the appeal concluding in the manner it did.

To that end, I see three main probables; 1) Pure coincidence. 2) A major PR gaffe. 3) A fix.

I'm offering no conclusion as to which it is, as I haven't yet made my own mind up. Any conclusion anyone else may come to is likewise their own business.

Oh, I'm not peddling conspiracy theories, simply assessing the known facts, considering the unknown possible facts, and identifying the potential routes that could have led to the appeal concluding in the manner it did.

I think that you have either missed, or are not aware of, some of the 'known facts' particularly with respect to Caroline Miller.

Do you think that the planning decision went to appeal without legal advice indicating it's chances of success? I, for one, would be surprised if it did.

Including 'unkown facts' (?) is just pure speculation and suggesting, as one of your 'probables', that it was 'a fix' IS, I'm sorry, conspiracy theory.

I am now hearing a new tenant is moving in, once they can get old Dodgy binned.

It is not Lidl, Tesco or whichever supermarket is flavvour of the month, but a local builder and window manuacturer.

Don't know if they will require planning permission for a change of use!!

Oh lordy - what will the planners make of that.

^^^ Mrs Miller is but one player in the issue, several others also had parts, and some of those had far greater roles than Mrs Miller.

The known facts are what the decision of the appeal was, and the timing of it's announcement. The unknown facts which must be considered is why the decision was what it was, and more importantly why it's announcement was at the moment it was.

I am now hearing a new tenant is moving in, once they can get old Dodgy binned.

It is not Lidl, Tesco or whichever supermarket is flavvour of the month, but a local builder and window manuacturer.

Don't know if they will require planning permission for a change of use!!

Oh lordy - what will the planners make of that.

That's a shame, retail would have been nice.

Well, folks, as it was advised earlier, read about the ruling:

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/planning/seiru/seiruDocs/PPA_360_039.pdf

It was to many aspects no ruling about the site or the existing built object owned by the Millers but a decision on the type of Hodge business already being in there for some time ...

Whether Mr Hodge had a written contract or not is more or less obsolete; the judgement simply states that he was acting "bona fide" and that any other developments different to the then existing use have to be reconsidered.

The judgement makes it quite clear that other developments than industrial (class 5, 6 & 7) might be possible and it prooved that a retail use (class 1) as run by Mr Hodge and with regard to his specific stock is well along the lines with Scottish planning regulations ... in so far it was a kind of knock-out against the responsible SIC officials ...

Wheter a Lidl or some kind of this might be possible - seen from this judgement alone - might be due to further discussions and applications ...

Mrs Miller is but one player in the issue, several others also had parts, and some of those had far greater roles

Caroline Miller is only a 'player' in so much as she was the person who applied for the planning permission and, when it was refused, appealed the decision.

As for others having 'greater roles', you should be mindful of the fact that a number of councillors, officials and local business people were opposed to having the Local Plan laid to waste in this way. Are you suggesting that the 'new kid on the block' has more clout and better contacts than the established 'players'.

why the decision was what it was, and more importantly why it's announcement was at the moment it was.

The decision was what it was because it was judged to be the correct one by an independent arbiter and, furthermore, it's announcement was within the timescale quoted for it's deliberation.

It's a great shame that what is, essentially, a private dispute between two businesses is getting such a public airing and is subject to so much speculation.

khitajrah's man wrote

Hodges is junk; a cheap ugly poundshop. I can not wait to see the stupid building closed and knocked down.

Not true.......sure Chris sells junk things (as do other shops in the town) but he also has loads of cheap and cheerful things that are good value for the money charged. Poundshop?.......well perhaps in parts but there would be no poundshops if there was no customer demand for them.

As for the "stupid building" the time to object to that was when planning permission was first applied for it to be built.

Mrs Miller is but one player in the issue, several others also had parts, and some of those had far greater roles

Caroline Miller is only a 'player' in so much as she was the person who applied for the planning permission and, when it was refused, appealed the decision.

As for others having 'greater roles', you should be mindful of the fact that a number of councillors, officials and local business people were opposed to having the Local Plan laid to waste in this way. Are you suggesting that the 'new kid on the block' has more clout and better contacts than the established 'players'.

why the decision was what it was, and more importantly why it's announcement was at the moment it was.

The decision was what it was because it was judged to be the correct one by an independent arbiter and, furthermore, it's announcement was within the timescale quoted for it's deliberation.

It's a great shame that what is, essentially, a private dispute between two businesses is getting such a public airing and is subject to so much speculation.

Indeed Colin

At the end of the day Ghostrider, I can't prove any more than you can disprove that the timing of the appeal decision was mere coincidence. I'm just presenting the procedural facts as I know them. God knows as the Council cocked up at the start by incorrectly advising Hodge about the requirement for planning permission but the resulting cynicism questioning not only their actions, motives and transparency but now (it seems) those of the Scottish Executive, the local press and Mrs Miller is becoming almost laughable.

..now with Hodge, there is nothing but a hit and miss experience and a hit and miss chance that the bottom will fall out once you get it home.

It's business. It's supply & demand. He's selling that stuff because he thinks there is a demand for it. Regardless of the current situation, if Hodge has filled his warehouse with stuff that not enough of us want to buy then ultimately he would either have to start filling the space with stuff we do want to buy, or get out or go bust.

A lot of the posts on here infer that Mr Hodge sells nothing but inferior goods. This is untrue, and unfair. Hodge sells a lot of good quality products, that cost half the price of "in ower". I put a lot of criticism of him down to pure snobbery. I think he's as shrewd as the next buisnessman/woman, but he has to be commended for at least giving Shetland something. My fear though, is that he will soon be driven out, either by legislation or through loosing his tenancy. Does all this paint a good picture of Shetland business, are we "too good" for the likes of Hodge?

I have no problem with the shop's contents.

I have kitted out my horsebox/lorry and caravan with most of his stuff because I know it will be used and abused and I won't mind when something breaks, gets left behind or does its job.

To date, I have not been disappointed. Everything has functioned just fine at a price that was very reasonable. If I had gone to "other stores" either on the street or via internet, I would have paid a great deal more.

Can I recommend those blankets - fantastic - my life is much happier and I have been sat for one month on the sofa with the broken ankle wrapped in one watching telly with the dogs.

So, if Hodge leaves, there will be a huge gap in my shopping life. I, for one, am not a shopping snob. I am a happy camper!

Fx