Chris Hodge & Judane's

Tomblands

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't like the fact that most of it has been produced as cheaply as possible and not conforming to any kind of safety guidelines.

My daughter had some 'Lip-gloss' (not necessarily from Hodges, but a similar place) which was made in China and, when I checked the horrid sounding ingredients on-line, several of them were flagged up as hazardous, potentially carcinogenic or otherwise toxic. This was in a cosmetic being marketed at children.

Cheap and tacky is one thing, poisonous is an entirely different matter. :?

When the emphasis is on 'as cheap as possible', unpleasant compromises are sometimes made.

Most if not all products imported to the UK have to conform to certain standards and many will display a CE mark to show that they meet those standards. Of course there are always people out to by pass those controls but mostly they seem to work.

Trading standards would, I feel sure, be glad to check if you had concerns about a particular product.

As for "ingredients" being toxic there is often a discrepancy between something being ok for a cosmetic use and the same thing being banned for food use. And even food ingredients are still toxic in excess.

Most if not all products imported to the UK have to conform to certain standards and many will display a CE mark to show that they meet those standards. Of course there are always people out to by pass those controls but mostly they seem to work.

As you say, just because things are supposed to conform, doesn't mean that they all do. With the sheer number of items being produced and imported, it's pretty easy for mistakes to be made. If anywhere is likely to make these 'mistakes', it is a cost-cutting, bargain hunting, few-questions-asked place.

My point here is that 'cheaply produced' often comes with hidden costs. Something might be cheap in money, but have other, less obvious costs associated with it. Perhaps it's inferior quality; perhaps poisonous (but cheaper) ingredients; perhaps child- or slave-labour is involved. Or perhaps it is just genuinely good value. Hard to tell.

It can be very difficult to be certain about what you're buying at the best of times but, when you see some of these places, you have to ask a few questions.

(Note: I am not accusing Hodge specifically of doing anything untoward; just looking at this attitude of 'cheap at any cost' in general)

Generally, lerwick is pretty poor for shopping. My missus always struggles to get "togged up" for an evening, if loking to buy something nice. I think too many shops have had it to easy for to long. At least hodges does what it says on the tin "bargain basement goods - some quailty in there" .. not sure it does say that on the tin, but you know what i mean :wink:

My daughter had some 'Lip-gloss' (not necessarily from Hodges, but a similar place) which was made in China and, when I checked the horrid sounding ingredients on-line, several of them were flagged up as hazardous, potentially carcinogenic or otherwise toxic. This was in a cosmetic being marketed at children.

You'll find the same with most cosmetics available in Boots.

I think too many shops have had it to easy for to long.

So how do shops here have it easy? If it's so lucrative then how come you and lots of other people haven't been opening up and providing these heaps of shops that people are asking for? I'm not defending local shops on every score, but they are trying to survive in difficult times when you and I can shop easily on the internet or buy stuff south. The small independent shops don't have the buying power of the larger outfits. There is also a limited market here of 22,000. Yes, I buy on the internet too. But - we talk about buying stuff on the internet then in the same breath how poor Lerwick is for shopping...

Well, folks, as it was advised earlier, read about the ruling:

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/planning/seiru/seiruDocs/PPA_360_039.pdf

It was to many aspects no ruling about the site or the existing built object owned by the Millers but a decision on the type of Hodge business already being in there for some time ...

Whether Mr Hodge had a written contract or not is more or less obsolete; the judgement simply states that he was acting "bona fide" and that any other developments different to the then existing use have to be reconsidered.

The judgement makes it quite clear that other developments than industrial (class 5, 6 & 7) might be possible and it prooved that a retail use (class 1) as run by Mr Hodge and with regard to his specific stock is well along the lines with Scottish planning regulations ... in so far it was a kind of knock-out against the responsible SIC officials ...

Wheter a Lidl or some kind of this might be possible - seen from this judgement alone - might be due to further discussions and applications ...

The only restriction on the consent is that no more than 60% of the floorspace can be used for retailing. Provided they operate within that restriction, nothing would prevent any retailer from moving in, under the terms of the planning consent at least. Permission might be required for new signage, alterations to the car park or whatever but not for the use.

Guest Anonymous
......"bargain basement goods - some quailty in there" .....:

What Dodgy Hodgy sells mostly is Seconds or B grade stock.. And yes there is some quality in there.

I bought 2 pairs of work jeans there once, they wore well enough but they were certainly below normal manufacturing standards. One pair had pockets so deep that I had to sew them up to half length, and the other pair had pockets so short that my change fell out when I sat down. But, hell, at £12 a pair I couldn't complain. That is until I found that LHD sells ones with no flaws for £15. Worth noting that the same brand jeans as LHD, bought in Aberdeen were £18.50, 1 month earlier, so Shetland isn't too expensive, if you look around.

Most of what Hodge sells is OK for the price, and if you are prepared to lose your money if the item falls apart.

Buying from him is like shopping on eBay; only buy to the value you can afford to lose. And like eBay, most times your purchase will be OK.

On the other hand, many items Hodge sells are a complete rip-off. But, because he gives the overall impression of cheapness with a lot of bargains, customers never notice the items he buys for a penny, and sells for a pound..

He also relies, as do most market traders doon sooth, that a percentage of faulty items sold will not be returned for exchange, because they are so cheap and most people can't be bothered to go back with them.

Auld Rasmie wrote

On the other hand, many items Hodge sells are a complete rip-off. But, because he gives the overall impression of cheapness with a lot of bargains, customers never notice the items he buys for a penny, and sells for a pound..

Perfectly true although perhaps the term "rip off" is a bit strong but just to restore a bit of balance to the discussion that is no different to supermarkets which headline products that they do sell cheap and then make their profits on things other places such as my local shop sell cheaper.

Guest Anonymous

^^^^ An acquaintance of mine who used to work for "Clydesdale", remember them? Said, that in his sales training he was told that behind every "Great Offer", was a "Rip-Off".. Local shops may not make great offers, but they seldom make rip-offs.

So I wonder,,, how many rip-offs are behind Hodgies great offers. :D

^^^^ An acquaintance of mine who used to work for "Clydesdale", remember them? Said, that in his sales training he was told that behind every "Great Offer", was a "Rip-Off".. Local shops may not make great offers, but they seldom make rip-offs.

So I wonder,,, how many rip-offs are behind Hodgies great offers. :D

That is not such an easy question. If the other shops in the area sell something for £1.99 and I buy the same thing wholesale for 10p and sell it for 99p am I ripping off my customers or offering them the chance to buy things for half anyone else charges?.