Shetland Temperatures

PJ of Hildisvik

^ I'm all over the place when it comes to imperial/metric: e.g. pints for milk and beer, but litres for fuel; miles for driving, but centimetres for measuring wood; pounds for body weight, but grams and kilos for shopping.... :oops:

Probably the only one I am constant on is Centigrade :P

Anyway, yes, it's jolly could outside no matter how you measure it. Feels like 0 Kelvin on my toes...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but centimetres for measuring wood;

:?: :?: But why use centimetres to measure wood, when all building plans are drawn using Metres and Millimetres?

It's funny that schools teach kids how to measure in centimetres, when any plan you're likely to come across in any trade will be drawn without any mention of a centimetre.

And to make it worse. On a building site, will you ever hear a 4 by 2 described as a 10cm by 5cm??? Or a 4 inch nail described as a 10cm nail?? No chance. I think some imperial standards will always be around. Just like the 6 inch concrete block.

:lol: :lol:

but centimetres for measuring wood;

:?: :?: But why use centimetres to measure wood, when all building plans are drawn using Metres and Millimetres?

I use the term loosely to mean metric measurement. I know it's mm, but I wrote wrong. :oops:

I use cm sometimes, purely because 15cm sounds better than 6 inches.. But I can't recall in which situation that is advantageous. :wink: :lol: