Samantha Orobator

With reference to the earlier thread posted in this section.

http://www.shetlink.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8657

Clive Stafford-Smith, director of Reprieve, said it was still unclear how Orobator had become pregnant in an all-women's prison. He claimed the trial in Laos was unfair and the said the UK Government should not accept the "insane judgment" in this case.

To say that she should rot and only became pregnant to advoid the death sentance may be wrong...

The courts in Laos are not known for their sympathy..we do not know why this woman had drugs on her and what pressure she was under to do such a task, her family could have been under threat...so, untill the British authorities sort this out, we have no cause for accusations, only have cause to comment on what is the truth as we know it.

Oh, right, we are going to kill you, but if you become pregnant we wont, if that was the choice offerd to you, what choice would you make, if you were a woman.

And that offer may have come from a prison guard....!!!!

That is abuse and rape...if it did come from a prison guard...

Sadly, in other countries women have fewer rights and are seriously abused and thought of as 2nd class folk, there are also some men in more developed countries who think the same.

This has to stop,, there are many better women around than credit is given for, sexism is really bad and is only reserved for cavemen.

Now that Orobator is back here, she and her child will be treated with a little bit more respect...although there are issues with the way British women prisoners are treated when with child. She will stand a better chance...and may receive a better future for herself and child.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one ever guilty SP, always hard done by innocents in your book, unless of course they are a drunk driver passing your roadworks.

the kid should be put up for adoption as no matter what she has proved that she is not a good role model for a child.

The double standards of this government are shocking to say the least one british guys human rights are totaly ignored because the yanks want him for a show trial, but drug dealers get taken here because her human rights may be abused.

Try and get a convicted terrorist extradited from the USA to the UK and you will be met with howls of laughter from the US legal system.

@ SP.

All the PC mumbo jumbo is fine and well, but any woman travelling through the world's airports with 68 x 10g Heroin capsules hidden on her body is no sweet little innocent. Wherever she was busted she was looking at getting a hard time, and doing a chunk of hard time, nowhere was just going to smile and nod her through if they knew she was carrying that. So, she pulled the short straw and got her collar felt on turf that calls for your head if you do such things, those are the risks of what she undertook to do, tough on her. As folk were used to say, she made her bed, now let her lie in it.

And if she really was as gullible and/or stupid that she didn't realise the game she was playing, she needs locking up and the key thrown away for her own protection. I for one don't buy it that she was that gullible/stupid, if she had been she'd never have gotten as far as she did.

laos is a strange place as far as drugs go. There is a place called vang vien where anything goes drugwise, there is copious weed and opium dens but every now and then the dealers and opium den owners give up a tourist to the police. I'm not saying this is what happened to this girl but it is one of several possibilities. Also i heard on the news that she got pregnant via artificial insemination by a western guy already in jail on drug offences, the report gave his name but i can't remember it.

I dont think it is right to mutilate or murder folk cos they may be stuped, or a better way, not as quick thinking.

But again, if offered the choice of get pregnant or get dead, there really is 1 obvious answer.

There also may be mental health issues, does that mean the murder and mutilation of an 18 year old with ADHT? For instance...

Tis a bit clinical, perhaps you should allow other folks to beat children if they do wrong. In you society of an eye for an eye, should it not be best to teach them early, so they det a chance to be more devious or take greater risks.

There are hundreds, if not thousands of murders in USA, and they have the death sentance in places...some deterent that is..

And if she did do it under duress, and owned up at the airport, do you think she would have been treated any differently..

I do hope this thread doeas not turn into anothe witch hunt, I do hope we are mature enough to see the bigger picture.

Samantha Orobator, 20, from South London, admitted attempting to carry 680g (24oz) of heroin on to a flight from Laos to Thailand last August.

Her mother, Jane, has met her daughter twice since the arrest and said that she did not have a sexual relationship with one of her guards and was not raped.

The Vientiane Times, the country’s only English-language newspaper, cited an unnamed police source as saying that Orabator had obtained sperm from another prisoner and impregnated herself to dodge the death penalty.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article6426549.ece

Does anyone truly believe that she 'didn't know' what she was doing?

All the airports carry warnings not to carry goods for anyone. You are asked this again when you check in. She smuggled drugs for money and was caught.

I think she should spend many years in prison and if her Mother does not wish to raise her Grandchild then adoption is the best thing for the child.

(***Mod Edit - Paragraph removed as it no longer makes sense after post deletion further up the thread***)

On topic, I can understand why she'd choose to have the child (if she did) No-one wants to die, and just because that's the consequence of her actions according this country's law, that doesn't make it right!

To be honest I think it was the right move to extradite her, she still gets punished, but not in a potentially disproportionate way.

The law of the country where she chose to do her crime is death to smack dealers. If you wish to avoid the death penalty then dont choose to break a law where that is the prescribed penalty.

And lets say her plan to get sympathy from this pathetic tossers we have for a government did not work and she was not returned to the Uk what then for the child that she bought her life with, brought up in a orphanage or jail in laos my what a caring woman she is.

She has proved not just once but twice that she is a calous bitch that gives a damn for no one but herself not even her own flesh and blood.

The world can do without scum like this.

Maybe all you bleeding hearts should start giving a damn for all the innocent kids brought into the world by scum like this and give less thought to the scum themselves, you are only perpetuating a spiral of abuse by this filth.

Children are not currency for you to barter with

Your sensationalist rhetoric doesn't really wash, if someone went to a country where stealing from a shop was punishable with the death penalty, does that mean they deserve it? Where do you draw the line?

We don't know the full facts about the child, but assuming that it was her intention to get pregnant to avoid death, I don't see who you are to blame her? People make mistakes, sometimes really big in this case (i'm not siding with her before you pull that one out of your arsenal) but that doesn't mean they are disqualified from feeling scared ****less at the prospect of death, and wanting to avoid it however possible.