Samantha Orobator

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ If I recall correctly my interpretation of what terminology is and isn't "racist" is a discussion that's already been had somewhere on here already not all that long ago, and it reached the same impasse.

I fail to see how certain words, unless for perhaps a very small number, can be automatically racist wherever and however they are used. To my mind context and intent is everything, and when the intent and context to be racist is in play, just about any term can become racist. Therefor IMHO the tagging of a whole slew of words as "racist", almost all of which can also be used where no sleight on any race is intended, is just a farce, PC gone insane.

Turns out she is not British after all but Nigerian so what the f**k are our government doing getting involved. She is from Nigeria and lived in london for a short while before going of to buy drugs in Laos, her mam bless her soul is in Ireland studying Yet Dublin have not seen fit to get involved maybe the Irish are not as dumb as all the jokes make them out to be.

she is a british citizen just like you. she can and should expect the same protection that her country can give her. her country being the UK. I well remember a name sake of mine being hung in Singapore in the late 80s for the same crime.

I don't blame the Laos government or even ours the only one to blame is the girl. it is very simple if you go to a country that executes you for a crime then you had better not do it.

lots of countries have the same arrangement for an exchange of prisoners saves the foreign country a fortune in costs.

I'm not sure if she is a British citizen. I've read two press reports online (The Guardian and The Times) and they refer to her coming to Britain as a child after her uncle, whom she regarded as a father figure, was shot. Both press reports refer to the family being given asylum. Now if she was given asylum, which may or may not be indefinite right to remain in GB, that does not automatically grant her British citizenship.

If my brain cells are in gear, she would have to apply to become a British Citizen unless her mother did so years ago and applied for her to become a BC at the same time. However, even if she is not a British citizen, I think (and I could be wrong) that the Government have stepped in before to assist non-British citizens charged with offences abroad.

If she is not a British citizen and was granted indefinite right to remain, then the Home Office could review her asylum status. On another note, and once more I could be wrong as I haven't done any immigration work in yonks, even if she was granted British citizenship this might be revoked but my understanding is that this usually occurs on rare occasions when a person has obtained British citizenship which they were granted after the age of 18.

Some of the posters on this thread and indeed on other drugs threads seem to forget one thing. Samantha is a human being. Also probably a loved child, a loved sister, a loved friend and indeed a lover. She has done wrong (assuming the original verdict is not quashed) and deserves to be punished but. All the repeat criminals in Shetland are someone's child, brother or sister, friend, lover etc and will be punished by the courts but they too are human beings.

Surely we all ought to display some sympathy for people who have done wrong and ruined their lives. Not to the extent of the Sheriff giving them a cash handout rather than a fine but we really ought to remember the prisoners loved ones as well as the prisoner whose childhood dreams have been shattered by their crimes.

Some of the posters on this thread and indeed on other drugs threads seem to forget one thing. Samantha is a human being. Also probably a loved child, a loved sister, a loved friend and indeed a lover. She has done wrong (assuming the original verdict is not quashed) and deserves to be punished but. All the repeat criminals in Shetland are someone's child, brother or sister, friend, lover etc and will be punished by the courts but they too are human beings.

Surely we all ought to display some sympathy for people who have done wrong and ruined their lives. Not to the extent of the Sheriff giving them a cash handout rather than a fine but we really ought to remember the prisoners loved ones as well as the prisoner whose childhood dreams have been shattered by their crimes.

I'm not suggesting the above does not apply but I, for one (and without wishing to speak for others on here but believe they may hold the same opinion) wish that the Government would assist its citizens when, for example, they (or their family members) have been caught up in disasters abroad such as the tsunami. The way that families were treated in the tsunami was atrocious. GB took its time in evacuating its citizens out of the tsunami zone.

GB does not provide "free" assistance when abroad. You have to pay for flights, etc., or GB lends you the dosh provided that somebody can vouch for you back home and act as a guarantor.

I suspect that some people would prefer to see GB assist more "innocent" GB travellers abroad than rushing to the aid of "guilty" parties.

mmm - who is innocent and guilty then?

Most sensible travellers have travel insurance, and it will cover some legal expenses, but once found guilty, insurance will not cover anythig efter that...

You may find, as in any claim for damages, some has to be paid back for assistance, same a s an injury.

As yet the full details are not with us yet...