Walk to cure diabetes

sandyg

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a few folk at work who have diabetes..they sorta keep it quiet.

Most of us involved rely on DiabetesUK for our information.

And occassionaly, a doctor would write a book, claiming to cure it..

Sadly there is no cure at the moment, there are many ways to subdue the fx and symptoms, but it can show during times of stress etc....

We have to attend yearly tests and inspections and a 3 monthly blood sugar test.

Sugar sticks to blood cells, and blood cells live about 3 months, so with the type two, it is a good way to monitor overall sugar levels and from those results.

My partner has her eyes tested and feet looked at as well.

Higher sugar levels restrict the blood circulation in the very smallest of blood vessels, they eye is a good place to check these out as it is the only organ you can look into without cutting open.

Being the feet are at the end of the circulation, they need to be looked after, and could take a littel longer to repair if damaged.

Now, imagine trying to monitor all of that with 2-3 blood tests a day on a 8 year old active youngster.

So, there is a big need to try and prevent it happening and find out why it happens.

Please read the links posted and see what you could do.

Thanx for reading

Hi all,

Just to let you know there is a full write up in the Shetland Times today. We would be happy for people to turn up at the walk and make a donation so dont panic if you havent had time to get sponsors or register as you can do this on the day.

Also anyone wishing to make a donation can sponsor my neice jess who is doing the 3 mile walk, a mile for each year of her life isnt bad at www.justgiving.com/dafrasers

Cheers Sandra

well if any o you are going then we should all meet in one place and do a shetlinkers walk! haha...ok im only doing the 3mile (because I have my sisters wee ones with me) and because im soooooooooo unfit and I never walk anywhere....but if anyone sees someone lying in the middle o the road...please pick me up!

We could all meet up at the homebake stall ! I am not doing walk I'm lookin after homebake stall My b/h is a marshal and my daughter and grandson and nephew doing the walk . Have you got someone with Diabetes ? You seem very keen to support us for that we thank you .