Voices Film Project (Offending in Shetland)

VoicesProject

People are the biggest cause of crime and they do it for reasons...

material gain

anger

adrenaline rush

pride

control

power

etc

Your list of causes (apart from not being a fair test) would be additional factors depending on the individual and should be delt with on that basis.

Listing them in order all seems a bit radio1 and I don't see what good it'll do.

So I wont.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lack of responsibility/ self-control

Morals/Understanding the difference between right and wrong (which can be linked with the next 3)

Poor family/social guidance/learnt behaviour/victim of crime themselves

Poor mental health (you don't have to be "ill" to have low self-worth)

Poor education (and I don't just mean schooling)

Alcohol (still the biggest common factor in violent crime)

Poverty/ Inequality

Peer Pressure

Drugs (not including alcohol)

Inappropriate law-making/ policy

Boredom/ Lack of things to do (stupid excuse, even more so because it actually is a real factor)

Lack of help/ professional support with any of the above (but then how did we manage before the "help" was about?)

I'm not answering but have a few serious points to make.

Has anyone posting felt influenced by what others have posted?

Who is funding the community film?

Is serious research being undertaken? If so, what are the research questions?

Since when has a community film taken answers from a forum website? Surely a film would be just that - a film!

Sorry, but bit lost as to why answers were "public" as opposed to leaving an e-mail address where "private" responses could be left ...

... or is it that you are just after people's thoughts to then use in your community film hence asking members of the community?

People are the biggest cause of crime and they do it for reasons...

material gain

anger

adrenaline rush

pride

control

power

etc

Your list of causes (apart from not being a fair test) would be additional factors depending on the individual and should be delt with on that basis.

Agreed 100%, and covers what I had just logged in to waffle about after considering my previous post.

Influenced, no. Interested, yes.

I personally like the use of forums for research such as this, since if everyone sent an email, resulat can be as meaningless as a poll due to a complete lack of discussion.

One simple powerful statement can easily outweigh hundreds of contrary opinions.

Honestly

it doesn't sound like they're doing a PHD, more like a short course through adult learning, therefore money pretty limited.

Getting results on here is no worse than brainstorming with a focus group.

Which reminds me have you checked out any of the Demos stuff from YP focus groups done for new labour 12/13 years ago.

I'm not answering but have a few serious points to make.

Who is funding the community film?

Is serious research being undertaken? If so, what are the research questions?

Since when has a community film taken answers from a forum website? Surely a film would be just that - a film!

Sorry, but bit lost as to why answers were "public" as opposed to leaving an e-mail address where "private" responses could be left ...

... or is it that you are just after people's thoughts to then use in your community film hence asking members of the community?

Voices is a community project being supported by Shetland Islands Council Adult Learning. If you would like more information about the project please call Lerwick 743888

The list covers all the usual stuff (though putting immigration on it is really just asking for trouble). But surely the root connecting cause is to do with the general breakdown of 'society' as a functioning body. The bonds and connections between people are gradually eroded with the rampant individualism of consumer capitalism. Once you have a society that encourages self-interest over community interest then increasing crime is inevitable because the gratification of the individual becomes paramount. Increasing drug and alcohol abuse, mental illness, and several others on the list can also be directly linked to this cause.

Lack of responsibility/ self-control ( children and people in general are not taught the effects of their own actions well enough )

as for the rest on the list I assume the order would be determined by which a person is exposed to first and so on. From my experience people don't generally go actively seeking until someone or thing has influenced them.

For immigration there does seem to be a lot of people either from south or foreigners (mainly eastern europeans) who are up for criminal offences compaired to the % of the total that have moved here, so to me its valid. Just look at a Shetland Times on a Friday.

But as someone has already pointed out, immigration itself isn't a very convincing cause of crime. Some immigrants do commit crimes, but they don't do it because they're immigrants or just because they're foreign. Saying 'immigration' causes crime is like saying 'foreignness' causes crime. Of the crimes I've seen mentioned in the paper where the accused is of Eastern European origin (to use your example) most of them are traffic offences (seatbelts and drink driving) which could be put down to cultural differences. And most of the rest are drunken violence, which could be put down to drink. So to say 'immigration' is to miss the point really, or to treat one group of people differently from the rest.

Ok, well then I say that birth is the number one cause of crime in Shetland. If criminals hadn't been born then there would be no crime. Or even oxygen - criminals thrive on that I hear.

There, job done. Birth and oxygen are the two biggest causes of crime, followed by immigration. Get rid of those and Shetland will be free from crime.

I remember one Saturday night being in the Bar of the Marlex (I hate karaoke!) and there were two blokes who turned out to be "Wegians" in there playing pool.

One of them, a tall bloke in a leather bikers jacket, went to the loo. Next thing there was a crash. Shortly after, this bloke walked out, collected his friend and left.

As they left, the Bar Maid walked into the Gents only to return seconds later and phoned the Police.

Seems that this "Wegian" had opted to take out one of the door panels in the cubicle.

Unlike around here, the Police didn't take very long to turn up, assess the damage then go off to look for the bloke responsible. About twenty minutes later, the Police returned, having got the perpetrators and were in to get statements.

Believe me, as a former DJ in a nightclub here in Holyhead,nothing like that happens around here. The polis are far too busy trying doing other things!!

Ok, well then I say that birth is the number one cause of crime in Shetland. If criminals hadn't been born then there would be no crime. Or even oxygen - criminals thrive on that I hear.

There, job done. Birth and oxygen are the two biggest causes of crime, followed by immigration. Get rid of those and Shetland will be free from crime.

At a guess, I would say that you may not be taking this seriously! Or am I mistaken?