Derren Brown

Becky

I was sort of stuck to the chair. Well, because I was driving, not because I saw the program.:lol:

My family watched it though and the kids were most disappointed when it didn't work for them. Long before it even started, they were convinced that it would work.

Apparently it doesn't work over the internet, just the same as it doesn't work over the TV. I bet it doesn't work through the radio either.

Or by post.

I must say I am completely gutted about it. Mainly because I do believe that the basis of most of Derren Brown's "stuff" has a base in science rather than any ridiculous claims of being a magician.

He uses psychological techniques which in some cases I have actually picked out and noticed, having watched a lot of his performances and due to my own (perhaps unhealthy) interest in the human mind.

I was surprised at what was actually appearing on the screen though, I had expected it to be more like a serious of images or sounds which would envoke thoughts. Although I did see the flashes of "subliminal" pictures of people stuck in chairs before the video.

Hmmmm...dunno what to make of it all. It's one of those things were the sceptics can easily claim that it is all done using actors and plants (as in people planted...not the leafy kind) but I just feel in this day and age someone would have leaked that to the press by now...it would certainly have a substancial financial reward if they did.

I was so sure it was going to work!! And for a split second I felt pretty heavy and thought i couldn't lift my hands from my legs, but got distracted and that was that. I was pretty dissappointed too!

I enjoy Derren Brown, but made a point of not watching the lottery show as it seemed pretty gimmicky. For me, the best one ever was the guy that he set up playing the video game, put him under and brought him to a set up studio with real-life characters from the video game he had just been playing! It was intense!

Was trying to find a link to see if it was on youtube but cant seem to get anything!

I was so sure it was going to work!! And for a split second I felt pretty heavy and thought i couldn't lift my hands from my legs, but got distracted and that was that. I was pretty dissappointed too!

I enjoy Derren Brown, but made a point of not watching the lottery show as it seemed pretty gimmicky. For me, the best one ever was the guy that he set up playing the video game, put him under and brought him to a set up studio with real-life characters from the video game he had just been playing! It was intense!

Was trying to find a link to see if it was on youtube but cant seem to get anything!

I mind seeing dat wan too, it was quite good, heres a google video link to it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2428437236878343763#

Though I did find the Lottery concept quite impressive, I didn't really enjoy the show that much, but come to think of it, the guy stamping on the cups was quite a good stunt.

I saw most of the auto-suggestion show last night and didn't take part. It did seem fairly straightforward though, surprisingly so, given Mr Brown's past record.

I was involved in some amazing near identical auto-suggestion experiments in my student days, though on the suggestion side of things rather than the reception. With less technology or hype than Derren used it was possible to emulate exactly this effect, frozen to seats, frozen limbs, and in one instance, even apparent involuntary movement across a flat surface toward an object. Hilarious, fascinating and done in comfortable surroundings with no showmanship. To my mind, he just overdid it a bit and that may be where he failed with many folk.