• Whalsay

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Shetland Football Coming's and Going's:

Lawrence Pearson leaves Whalsay and joins Scalloway, they'll have plenty of attacking prowess next year with Pearson joining the likes of Gary Burns, Alan Davidson and Steven Umphray. Scalloway also reportedly have signed Darren Thompson & Liam Macgregor from Unst; who have fallen to the 'B League, along with former Scallywag Marcus Pitt.

As mentioned Unst not definate yet but probably will be playing in the 'B League next year. Where will the Thompson brothers be playing? Rumours flying around was they'd joined Whalsay, then they'd joined Delting, now they've joined Celtic? Wherever they end up, they will prove vital in title hopes.

Delting welcome back Stuart Hay after a lenghty lay off, his experience and work ethnic might prove pivotal this year as Delting will be looking for a better year as last. Alan Duncan will be away again this year and they'll miss him, but with Ross MacDougall upfront Delting will still be a great threat.

Scott Morrison has left Thistle and joined Spurs, Thistle may well struggle this year as reports suggest Stevie Michael and Adam Thomspon will miss most of the year too. Spurs on the otherhand grow more and more every year. With young Sam Ward back for a full season and the signing of Scott Morrison, this may well be the year Spurs put together a strong title challenge.

Celtic will have Ross Moncrieff and Joe Leask back for a full season as both have finished university, with veterans John Simpson and Paul Leask spurring on the young Celts, they may feel as though this is they're year too?

Ness welcome back Alex White from a brief spell living away. Ness again will be a stern team to break down and under Kenny Malcolmson they cant be written off causing upsets this year too.

Sorry to any Whitedale contingent, I havent heard of much news, but prosume they will be as strong as ever with the likes of Paul Malloy, Jamie Wilson and young Allan Johnston in their ranks. They're was rumours Whitedale had signed Brian Duncan from Delting, any truth?

any predictions folks?...

(***Mod Edit - Merged with existing thread - Poll had to be reset***)

delting welcome back stuart hay but not much else! once again they will struggle with depth and striking options and with not much coming through the ranks up north it could be another hard season for the former champs! which ever team signs david and erik will gain two of the best young players the island has produced and they will provide a huge boost for whoever they play for! its looking like it could be another great season for shetland football!

What I've heard is that Yell were to be relagated down to the B' League anyway, Unst on the other hand will most likely be aloud to drop down a league as they are struggling to feild a team at the start and end of the season.

Yes this season is shaping up to be the most interesting yet, I dont think I could call which way the League Title or any of the Cups will go, luck of the draw it'll come down to i guess....

I can confirm that Unst have seeked (or will at the next meeting) to drop down to the reserve league, this is due to a number of factors such as players leaving (ie Thomson and Macgregor as mentioned above) and the uncertainty involving other players, such as the students, who did not know when, or even if, they would be home during summer 2010.

Therefore the Unst squad was thought to be to thin (and inexperienced) during the start and end of the season which led to the decision being made that Unst would not be able to compete in the A league. It was also felt that a step down to the B league would provide more enjoyment and competitive football to the boys who are home. (the 11-0 and 11-1 drubbings at the hands of Whalsay and Spurs last year illustrated that point as there is very little enjoyment in taking those beatings)

On the A league next year, i think Whalsay will be favourites however I would not underestimate delting, their abilioy, experience and grit still make them very worthy opponents.

It looks like it will be an interesting and very competitive season!

Lots of movement already over the closed season. It will be an interesting start to the season can't wait til april comes around. Any club wishing to enter the Highland Amateur Cup this season should contact the association secretary as forms have been sent out to him from the competitions secretary. The closing date for entries is the 15th of March.

The proposed dates for the fixtures of the Cup are:

Prelim Round (if required) – Sat 24th April

1st Round – Sat 8th May

2nd Round – Sat 29th May

3rd Round - Sat 19th June

4th Round – Sat 3rd July

All clubs wishing to enter the SFA competitions this season should ensure they have a representative at the EGM on February the 4th.

no i would not rule out delting but if they get one or two injuries too add to the lengthy injuries of ross jamieson and stuart hay the squad will be thin with no talent in the youth set up! but after all they still have flaws, macdougall and jamieson at the back so they will not give up a fight!

The league should be very tight with 6 of the teams having a realistic chance of winning it. Thistle and Ness might struggle but they should still pick up points and be competitive throughout the season. Scalloway look likely to be much improved with several good signings.