Road condition reports - Snow, Rain, Fog, etc

khitajrah

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anybody know what the lerwick sumburgh route is like ?

Main road from South Mainlands down to airport doesn't look too bad and I can see the gritter lorry/snow plough whizzing up and down about every one and a half hours. Can't say for the rest of the route I'm afraid though.

We have a sort of transport quango called ZetTrans and it has a website. Would it really be asking too much for them to publish up to the minute information on bus services during periods of adverse weather. Not just on their website but also passing information to SIBC and BBC Radio Shetland. Right enough they do say to look on the Shetland News website but I have yet to find bus information there.

Now some may say that I am nit picking here but aside from people needing to make alternative arrangements if their journey is essential there is always a potential risk to health if someone is waiting at a bus stop for a bus that never comes.

We have a sort of transport quango called ZetTrans and it has a website. Would it really be asking too much for them to publish up to the minute information on bus services during periods of adverse weather. Not just on their website but also passing information to SIBC and BBC Radio Shetland. Right enough they do say to look on the Shetland News website but I have yet to find bus information there.

Could not agree more. I quote from the ZetTrans site: "This website has been setup as a one-stop resource for useful information on all your travel needs including ferry services, bus services, air services, walking, cycling and service disruptions."

It is clearly failing to fulfil that role.

The early bus from Mossbank to Lerwick got to Tingwall and turned back, the round trip took 2 1/2 hours.

Why do people assume that the buses will get through when other vehicles can't? Admittedly a gritter is often sent to cover bus routes, but the drivers of gritters and buses are only human!

(Bus driver's wife!)

i agree, Bus & Gritter driver's do a brilliant job,

folk shouldn't complain when the bus turn's back, drivin in the snow is hard in a car, never mind a bus or truck.

i would lik tae say a BIG thank you to all the Bus & Gritter Driver's who is doing a excellent job of tryin to get people to there work and trying to keep the roads safe and clear for driver's!

The thing that gets me is that you have to risk life and limb to get to the Flybe desk at Sumburgh for them to tell you the flight is cancelled and to get a refund or replacement. They won't tell you it is cancelled until they see you at the desk even if the police have said do not go out.

I am having similar difficulties with flybe ... they are advising to write a letter and try and claim back the money, otherwise go to sumburgh and check in and wait and see. No flights as yet have got out today according to sumburgh information desk. They have stated that the police haven't informed them that they are advising against road travel.