Road condition reports - Snow, Rain, Fog, etc

khitajrah

i agree, Bus & Gritter driver's do a brilliant job,

folk shouldn't complain when the bus turn's back, drivin in the snow is hard in a car, never mind a bus or truck.

i would lik tae say a BIG thank you to all the Bus & Gritter Driver's who is doing a excellent job of tryin to get people to there work and trying to keep the roads safe and clear for driver's!

I agree!.

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing that gets me is that you have to risk life and limb to get to the Flybe desk at Sumburgh for them to tell you the flight is cancelled and to get a refund or replacement. They won't tell you it is cancelled until they see you at the desk even if the police have said do not go out.

The thing is though, the weather is so changeable up there at the moment. You may have a pilot who is prepared to fly and another one who is not. Given the rather quick turnaround time of the flights, Flybe won't always know until the plane has landed here.

There is then the fact that even if the plane does arrive here and is scheduled to take off again, it may require a certain amount of de-icing depending on how bad the flight over here was.

On top of that, there is the runway to clear.

I've known hubby work late where even at 7.30pm they haven't been sure if the last flight (7.50pm?) is going to leave at, for example, 8.30pm and sometimes in this weather that has gone at 8.15pm, 8.50pm or even later!

We can't control the weather and I bet all those concerned wish they could but unfortunately, they have to wait for a "break" in the weather - which sometimes is as little as a 5 minute window.

Guest Anonymous
The thing that gets me is that you have to risk life and limb to get to the Flybe desk at Sumburgh for them to tell you the flight is cancelled and to get a refund or replacement. They won't tell you it is cancelled until they see you at the desk even if the police have said do not go out.

I am having similar difficulties with flybe ... they are quite rude on the phone and saying write a letter and try and claim back the money, otherwise go to sumburgh and check in and wait and see. No flights as yet have got out today according to sumburgh information desk. They have stated that the police haven't informed them that they are advising against road travel.

shambles yes, folk from this far north would willingly hang a flybe rep everytime they fly !! (almost)(small exageration to to make the point)

Hmm yes. I really do think that all airport staff from now on should only be hired if they have at least a diploma or higher qualification in clairvoyance.

I have seen these people working and (after risking life and limb to get to work) they then have to juggle passengers and flights around as best as they can to keep the majority happy. Couple this with continual phone calls of, "Will my flight get in tomorrow?", and you can get a pretty stressed out member of staff.

They then know that they will be working late, and will have to drive home, risking life and limb in treacherous conditions that are even worse than the poor passengers had to endure.

Nobody likes being stuck in an airport, least of all the staff.

P.S. Ramblings about Flybe are better in one of the Flybe Threads. :oops:

Its wintertime in Shetland. We should expect weather disruption. Its a bit chancy planning any little trips this time of year unless there is a pressing reason. However if you require someone else to make a decision then perhaps you should simply stay put. If you have an emergency then there are services in place.

If the police or SIC take that decision then people will still not be happy.

If you can't take the heat (or the cold in this instance) then perhaps consider Shetland is not the place to live.

Threats, however, stupid against minor functionaries at airports, for instance, is not only ignorant but misplaced.

They then know that they will be working late, and will have to drive home, risking life and limb in treacherous conditions that are even worse than the poor passengers had to endure.

OT I know, but they could be flying from Scatsta today - it's wide open and the runway's clear. That way staff and passengers would get where they wanted to go.

And back on topic...

OT I know, but they could be flying from Scatsta today - it's wide open and the runway's clear. That way staff and passengers would get where they wanted to go.

And back on topic...

And pray how do the staff get to Scatsa then? When they transfer to Sumburgh occasionally, sometimes a proportion of the staff have to leg it down to Sumburgh also. Can just see it now, check-in staff, security, baggage handlers hitching a lift in the chopper to get up there only to find by the time they've arrived, Scatsa gets the snow and Sumburgh is clear. :lol:

And pray how do the staff get to Scatsa then? When they transfer to Sumburgh occasionally, sometimes a proportion of the staff have to leg it down to Sumburgh also. Can just see it now, check-in staff, security, baggage handlers hitching a lift in the chopper to get up there only to find by the time they've arrived, Scatsa gets the snow and Sumburgh is clear. :lol:

I know, I know - it doesn't work in practical terms really. Just pointing out the frustrating irony of the whole situation. Never mind :cry: