Which Vet?

Indeed, please be careful jenny8018. There are appropriate channels for resolving these kinds of issue, but Shetlink is not one. Please review the T&Cs and consider the appropriateness of making anonymous allegations in a public forum. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dog is very nervous of the vet (any vet) (can't blame him really, no one likes a thermometer up their butt!) and he goes to Lerwick, and has been for the eight years we've lived in Shetland. I must say, they treat him very well and take his nervousness in to account and the whole thing ends up being painless for all of us. I would recommend Lerwick Vets, no problem at all :D

Lerwick Vets for my two, they saved one dog's life and are very good with the older timid one, and always greet the dogs as well as the owners, even getting down on the floor to say hello to the peerie one. We found their prices very reasonable as well, in comparison with Westside.

Weastside vets for me every time. All the vets whether we have been to Scalloway or Bixter have always been marvellous.(and the nurses too).

I have had many animals over the years and have lived all over the UK but this practise is the only one I have ever used where I have perfect faith and trust in ALL the vets there.

• 3 weeks later...
I use both practices, one for the small animals and the other for the big guys.

Both are excellent. Compared to vets in England and Scotland they are both very reasonably priced. I have no complaints about either.

I find that whilst the drugs are an awful lot cheaper up here compared to London, the consultation fee is the same as London but operations are about double the cost of in London!

Getting a vet bill always raises an eyebrow.....it's human nature I suppose.

Having spoken to friends in England and Scotland and raised more than an eyebrow at what they have been charged, I am reasonably happy with the fees we pay.

My brother was charged nearly £1000 to amputate his cat's front leg. :shock:

When a vet asks you "are you insured?" then is the time to run screaming for the hills! My animals are not insured for vet bills, and I am quite perpared to pay reasonable fees to have my animal bolted back together in appropriate circumstances.

I know Frances144 has had to have some failry major surgery on her pooch that down south, with insurance sweetening the pot, would have made your eyes water. Common sense approach, good surgery at a sensible price and everyone wins.

My brother was charged nearly £1000 to amputate his cat's front leg. :shock:

OMG :shock: you could rescue a cat with 4 legs and feed it for life for that kind or money....

Sorry. It's the hard line crofter in me. I would never consider spending that kind of money on an animal. An animal is only worth its wieght in meat to me. :twisted: That's not to say I that I don't care about my animals because I really do, it's just that's where i have to draw the line.