Changes in Shetland (what can you remember?)

CrunchieSquirrel

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh whit memories dis aa brings back!

I mind Charlie Armstrong as weel, and I was terrified o him!

I mind the paddling pool at Scallowaa, whar da parking spaces ir noo. It had a sand pit alang da side o it. I mind seing crabs in the bottom o da swimming pool alang side it.

I mind being the first secondary 3 class in the 'new' AHS.

Folk smoking when dey wir working at the Iceatlantic, and on the bus into Lerrik.

• 3 months later...

Just read through this thread, brought back lots of memories. Here's a few from my past.

Lerwick gasworks - great place to play, did stink a bit though.

Greenhead army huts - before they flattened the place for the oilbase.

Sumburgh golf course - the one across the airstrip, and the later one on the hill just before Sumburgh.

Brenda Bressay ferry.

The cafe on Market Street just up from the Red Dragon - can't remember the name but do remember the huge freshly made pancakes.

And on the subject of trucks, I remember Geordie Mundies truck fleet at Grantfield and Bowie's huge new fleet of tippers/cement mixers - were they all Volvo's? I think I remember something like 26 of each.

After I posted I thought it might have been Charlie's.

What building would that have been in?

There are no obvious commercial buildings on the west side of Market St except for the big building directly behind the Red Dragon. I think it belonged to the Home Furnishing. Was it on the other side?

Of course the Red Dragon was Jackie's Cafe for a while ( not all that long ago) and if you go back far enough, there used to be a restaurant upstairs.

As far as I recall the cafe was in the ground floor of the building behind the Red Dragon.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=lerwick&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Lerwick,+Shetland,+Shetland+Islands,+United+Kingdom&ll=60.156116,-1.146827&spn=0.008906,0.045447&z=15&layer=c&cbll=60.157481,-1.14758&panoid=LEvyyFTlZRV-qnzpMif3pQ&cbp=12,161.8,,0,5

Up there on the right, where the grey railings are. If I remember correctly, it was last used for storing carpets when the Home Furnishing used the Red Dragon building as their carpet shop.

There is a photo of the Red Dragon when it belonged to Home Furnishing here

http://photos.shetland-museum.org.uk/index.php?a=advanced&s=item&key=XYToyOntzOjExOiJERVNDUklQVElPTiI7czo2OiJqYWNraWUiO3M6NjoiUEFSSVNIIjtzOjc6IkxlcndpY2siO30=&pg=10

Home Furnishing, Floorcoverings Department, 27 Commercial Road. Originally built in early 1950s as bakery and grocery (called Charlie's) for brothers Charlie and John Pottinger - and run by them until being sold in 1971. Then Jackies Cafe, now chinese takeaway.

The cafe in the building behind was also called called Charlie's. I would guess that both properties changed hands at the same time.

I mind Jackie's.

Being in Bressa I mind da one mast and the foghorn (kinda hard to forget)

We got the Kjella when the Grima was on refit and arguments over how to pronounce it.

We used have a fish and chip van that came over here but canna mind who did it.

I used to love going to the Mine on the pier.

I'm haen a mind blank what was the name o da DIY store that was where the Shetland Arts Company is noo?

^^ Where Shetland Art Co are was a chemist before. Gair & Smith, previously Stove & Smith were the immediate neighbour to the north though, and probably could be described as DIY. In their day S&S also had a shop across the street where Michael Inkster is now.

There was also the "Shetland DIY Shop" in the '70's, in what has now been knocked through to make the north end of Conochies.

boy boy, whit a good thread, Ive fairly enjoyed reading through it.

I mind we used to go to Charlies cafe after we had been out guising as bairns, as the glass topped tables were great for counting all the happnies, pennies, thrupinee bits, sixpenses, and mabey the odd shillings, twabob and halfcrown. we would then treat ourself to sausages in a roll. Then it was over to Feejurs for short back and sides and he would clert your hair with stuff like axle grease. But you looked brawly smart.

• 4 weeks later...
I mind Jackie's.

We used have a fish and chip van that came over here but canna mind who did it.

I mind a fish and chip van that came to Unst too on a Sunday afternoon, I winder if it was the same wan. Most have been in the mid seventies just after the ferries came I suppose, dont know who had it though.

I also mind, Clivocast Dairy milk delivered daily in waxed cartons, the empties made splendid fire lighters,the scallop shell dump in Mid Yell, the scrappy on the way into Lerwick, when doing 60 was going fast, bordering on madness infact, when bairns didna need seatbelts in the backseat, infact it was OK for the barins to go in the boot if you had an estate, or to stand up in the front seat, they would likely hang you for that nooadays, when you needed a hammer to flatch a beer can, and when a penny wis dat big you couldna close your naev aboot 'im.