The next Chief Executive

JustMe

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....able to make clear cut decisions based on facts rather then public opinion.

Bit of an oxymoron is it not? Public opinion is a fact, and while I agree with you that to base decisions wholly on it is the dictionary definition of stupidity, ignoring it completely can only lead to trouble. As the current council should known only too well by now, but seem too blinkered to notice....or something.

I have no issues when Public opinon is gathered and digested to find out the background problems but it is when it's taken as the rule thumb that i start objecting. Taking the whalsay tunnel for example if we went puely on what was said on this forum then we would be right up a dodgy strech of water without a skipper.

Yup, I think the Whalsay ferry and the AHS are two prime examples of what happens when public opinion isn't factored in to the initial recommendation. At the 11th hour the public cries "foul" and the whole thing comes apart at the seams, an immense amount of time, work and money wasted, and a hotchpotch attempted to be added at the end to appease public opposition.

Somehow out of the shambles something that seems reasonably workable was salvaged for the AHS, assuming there are no more changing of minds in the council chamber :?. But you're right as regards the ferry, public opinion is being taken too much notice of, and the whole thing is floundering in a shambles going nowhere as a result.

Given that the last CE was constantly off on garden leave, I question if the post really needs to be filled. Perhaps a bit of internal restructuring of the councils hierarchy would suffice?

Good point. I suppose the fact that things are carrying on as normal must mean that the Assistant Chief Executive is doing a sterling job?

Given that the last CE was constantly off on garden leave, I question if the post really needs to be filled. Perhaps a bit of internal restructuring of the councils hierarchy would suffice?

As this position appears so extremely well suited to a part time horticulturalist, I think it would most ably be filled by perhaps, a crofter?

I understand that the Right Honourable Gordon Brown may be available in the recruiting time frame.

He would appear to be eminently capable of running the SIC based on his past history. Gordon's availability will of course be in the hands of the electorate; something that the current incumbents of the Town Hall might want to pay very close attention to.

...or perhaps someone with even more local knowledge, also ex-chancellor :twisted:

COSLA president Pat Watters said: "I can understand that the people of Shetland are upset, but councillor Cluness and the council took a decision that they felt was right for Shetland and the people of Shetland and the victimisation of councillor Cluness is not merited.â€

==All councillors are being asked to resign and stand again for election, no one is being victimised. Let me just remind the convener of the saying'if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen'. and tell COSLA president Watters that you can fight your own battles. This is not victimisation, just pointing the finger of blame.

“In the absence of knowing all the facts I would urge the people of Shetland to stop the wilful persecution of a man who has served the island to the best of his ability and a councillor who has never knowingly taken a decision that was not in the best interests of the islands he loves so much."

==It is obvious that COSLA president does not know many facts - we are still waiting for the refund of the loan made to Smyril Line which convener Cluness gave to them. About £4,700,000 - that is - Four point seven million pounds Just for example. and he received payment from them.

==Tomorrow we will see how many good people of Shetland will be at the Market Cross at noon to ask for resignations.

Bet they don't go.

Guest Anonymous
^^ Do you have a history of threatening anyone that you don't like the look of with physical violence though?

No, but threats are easy. Especially by phone!

gulp , thats my application scuppered , wan wye or a idder :roll:

As this position appears so extremely well suited to a part time horticulturalist, I think it would most ably be filled by perhaps, a crofter?

Hmm, I could be tempted to apply, but I am an alcoholic fool.

It appears that you may be eminently qualified. Are you, family members or any relatives recipients of financial aid from the SIC? Are any of them interested in receiving the same? If so, your chances have just increased dramatically.

Transportation will be provided. Work days are optional, and just to ensure that work never interferes with your drinking, any (or every) day can be declared a "holiday".

I wouldn't mind being your assistant if you get the job. Then there would be two of us to plant tatties, bale hay, or cover the lambing!

RM is still in the South Shetlands and asks if the interview can be pushed-back until further notice.

He has fallen in love with a scientist and with the biteing cold down there, he just hopes and prays it's a woman.

He awaits confirmation with frozen breath.

He enquires if Sanjay is keeping well and also asks 'What's up Doc'?

Instructions have been received to cancel his suite in the Lerwick Hotel for now :wink: