Dangerous Dogs

Babsy

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we may have to ban clouds that rain cats and dogs.

I was told every dog could turn, they are bred from wolves, they will always have that in them, from any breed.

Hence the need still for them to be part of our pack and so on.

You cannot fully trust a dog,really. But you trust the dogs personality which we try to humanise, so we feel better about having an animal as a friend.

I would not let any dog alone with a baby.

Working dogs are different. They have to have their natural insincts kept more alive, and more often than not, they don't make good pets but loyal companions

The good old human. You can get assaulted, murdered, raped, discriminated against, befriended for ulterior motives and stabbed in the back. Lots of genuinely friendly folks about though. On a dark night, somwhere unfamiliar i think i'd prefer to meet a dog.

There are dogs that would never bite. I have one and I know of 2 others. They wouldn't, couldn't bite. Just not in their nature. Kill rabbits, yes, bite a human, never.

Sorry Frances, I disagree. I've known of ultra placid dogs that, for example, when they have got ill, say the equivalent of going senile/having dementia, ear infections, etc., have bitten yet throughout the duration of their lives up until that point have never bitten.

Dogs have teeth. The Dogs Trust and other doggie/animal organisations state that you should never leave children and dogs alone unsupervised, especially at feeding times. Mine wouldn't hesitate at killing a rabbit and one of mine absolutely adores children whereas the other one, whilst not being aggressive, is wary and sometimes frightened of children. Dogs' characters can change throughout their lives.

Perhaps people should be educated more as humans and dogs can live together, we just need to be aware of the rules and boundaries. It is not just with dogs though. Example:-

I used to live near an area where horses were exercised. I remember one day a woman walking her pomeranian off the lead. It ran in front of the horse. The woman yelled abuse (a pensioner) at the horserider telling her to get off the path. It was not a path. It was a bridleway. After calming the horse down, the horserider got off her horse and tried to reason with the dog owner, explaining how one kick from a horse could kill her beloved pooch. Did the dog owner accept that she had a responsibility to keep her dog under control in a public place? No. She was blissfully unaware of the dangers to her dog.

Not all dog owners are perfect. Very seldom do you meet the absolutely perfect dog. That said, how many humans are perfect too?

We all know our dogs and hopefully take responsibility for them. I am not going to get into an argument - in general terms you are, of course right.

I go by the same measure that all folk are boobalubes until proven otherwise along with all cars indicating to the left at a t-junction must actually be shown to be turning left before I pull out.

Dogs are getting a very bad press these days. It is sad because they have been our friends for thousands of years. They are now just seen as messy and bad-tempered rather than a working part of the family household who contributes in so many ways.

Mine? I have two I wouldn't trust with children unsupervised and one that would rather gnaw his own leg off than bite anyone. The old cat once sniffed him while he was asleep, so he growled, realised what he had done and went into a decline for a week!

Edited to add that this is a dog that can have multiple stitches in his face or body without a general anaesthetic. He is an old lurcher made of wet tissue paper that tears just getting out of bed.

(this is still not an argument, though :oops: )

we have two one very mad bitch that is extremly soft. we have a male that hates males. of the two i trust the boy more. he would bite a stranger if they walked into the house but he will not bite me. the bitch was ill treated as a pup which we rescued so she is more likely o snap out. most dog problems are human caused.

Sorry Frances, I disagree. I've known of ultra placid dogs that, for example, when they have got ill, say the equivalent of going senile/having dementia, ear infections, etc., have bitten yet throughout the duration of their lives up until that point have never bitten.

Yep. Whenever dogs rip peoples faces off and generally lose the plot, invariably the owners bleat about how completely surprised they are with the sudden change in behaviour. They always say that previously the dogs had been the gentlest of pets with no hint of the horror to come.

Its that type of complacency that leads to tragedy. I have a teacup yorkie and ive only got to change the tone of voice for him to lay down with a leg lifted ( a submissive pose for a dog ) he is a complete pussy cat but would I ever leave him in the same room with my 20 month old daughter unattended.....never! not because He is aggressive , hes not but because if she were to irritate him , pull his tail , hurt him..do something to HIM of course he would turn on her...young children until they are old enough to be taught how to respect animals, and dogs should be supervised at all times.

Ah, but I am not complacent.

I do not set up my dogs to fail ever. They are in situations where they are constantly looked after, where manners are expected and they are not allowed to have their comfort zone compromised.

So, therefore I am always in control and they are comfortably happy in their secure environment, ie in their home or out and about with me.

This is one of the better gardens for dogs I have seen recently, the owner is actually out, and was the 2 hours we were there.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn149/shetlandpeat/outandabout-april-lancs-2010-2031.jpg

And in Preston they now have these, other areas have them now too..

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn149/shetlandpeat/outandabout-april-lancs-2010-2011.jpg