peeriebryan

Where should the North Boat dock?  

447 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the North Boat dock?

• Aberdeen
    • Rosyth
    • Peterhead
    • Barbados

hard to say what all goes on behind the scenes, i mind once i got handed a piece of paper wi notes on it that it might be coorse and common sense things to do n thought that was great for folk no used wi the sea, would that no be an avenue worth following up rather as p***ing off lots of travellers by just not going ?, ive no real problem wi northlink or the boats as such , but do kinda sense a "big brother is telling you" attitude from them

I would also be quite happy to travel in most conditions but the master has to consider the safety of all passengers and crew as well as the cargo and the ship itself. I suppose we as passengers have to respect the decision they make.

I do think that Northlink should allow passengers to stay on board if the sailing is cancelled, rather than leaving people to find and pay for their own accommodation for the night.

I feel that they should provide over night accommodation on board the ferry free of charge if you are stranded in Aberdeen due to a canceled sailing.

I'm not sure about other airlines but i know that BA provide free hotel accommodation for passengers, if a flight is cancelled/postponed and you are forced to spend a night away from your home.

BA used to accomodate I think because the airport could not use auto landings as with alot of other airports, and I think they could be compensated or had a better landing deal, need to check that.

The weather is not Northlinks fault, and if they cancel for safety, you want compensation for them not risking your life or limb?

I think as we know that Northlink dont accomodate folk who are cancelled, folk may need to keep a little by.

Travel insurance may help, it is for travel problems.

Buy all the kids a pair of Nikes and get them running around the Loch, that'll be cheaper :lol:

People use the facilitys at different times of the day for different reasons, shift work etc.

Remember it is not just the AHS kids who use it, it would need to be extended, or the new school should have indoor facilitys incorporated in the school it's self.

A lot more excercise could be done outside, it doesn't drop to minus 20 here :roll:

I don't know what BA currently do but last year i was left stranded at a major UK airport because a BA flight that i was on had been delayed taking off due to a thunder and lightning storm, causing me to miss my connecting BA flight. The airline very efficiently transferred me to a flight next day and provided hotel accommodation and a food allowance. The thunder & lightning was not BA's fault.

I never mentioned compensation, i just said that i thought Northlink should allow stranded passengers to use the ferry that is going to be tied to the pier with staff on board anyway. The weather is not Northlink's fault but it is not the passengers either.

I'm not sure about other airlines but i know that BA provide free hotel accommodation for passengers, if a flight is cancelled/postponed and you are forced to spend a night away from your home.

They only provide accomodation if you are in transit with BA. If it's just the one flight you're making then they don't have to provide anything except another flight the next day.

Yeah i agree that some of the cancelled sailings are suspect. I have heard that sailings are sometimes missed so that they can have a ship in Aberdeen on a certain day for crew change. This would obviously save Northlink from having to fly crew up and down. I don't know how much truth there is in this but i have heard that this is sometimes the real reason.

I also agree about the boats being well kept, the boats are now about 7 years old and are still just like new.

The cost of flying 40 inbound/outbound crew for 2 boats (160 single fares) must be considerable + nearly impossible without chartering aircraft.

cant believe my eyes "keep a little by" & "travel insurance" Eh ? arriving in Aberdeen on the day to find our "service" provider has its dummy out n try to find accomodation at all even insured to the eyeballs and suitcases full put by wont get you a room if theres none to get, perhaps cardboard box and dense bushes might be more use

Well said hoosn! Northlink definitely should be more helpful when their passengers are stranded in Aberdeen because of a cancelled sailing, no matter what the reason for the sailing. I know first hand how difficult it can be to get a room in Aberdeen at short notice, especially an affordable room.

But is that not the situation now, what did they say when you wrote to them?

Northlink do not provide accomodation, when you buy the ticket, it comes with T&Cs.

So, you have now entered a contract with Northlik, by purchasing a ticket.

The other option would be a huge hike in fares to accomodate those who have had cancelations.

I think you want too much, more than we all can afford.

How much do you think it would cost to keep by enough hotel rooms at Lerwick and Aberdeen. And if rooms, so you say are scarce, in Aberdeen, it would not help anyone by holding a couple of hundred back. That then would deprive others. And I think a selfish act, folk need to take resposibility for them selves and not expect others to, to some degree.

There would also be a cost in cleaning the ship again for the next passage, that too would be added to fares.

P&O used to charge 50 pounds each way, remember, a family of four would pay 150 pounds each way, plus a cabin.

You have to be pragmatic, I would rather spend 5 hours in Aberdeen than 100 pounds plus on a one way ticket on the train...

So, the only answer now, is, keep some by, get insured.

You live on an island surrounded by sea, have you not noticed it can be un predictable...Island life me hearty....