Bomb scare

Para Handy

I vaguely remember a related tale involving grenades in a Shetland shed. The gist of it was that some guy (possibly from Tingwall) was heating up tar for his roof. Later, at the bottom of the tub a "lump" was encountered. This turned out to be a grenade (or possibly more than one, I don't remember) which had presumably fallen into the tub from a shelf in the shed. Apparently (and very fortunately) that grenade had been for training, so no explosive content or detonator.

:?

Anyone know the correct details?

Back in the day of muzzle loaders and whatnot, and old damp earth floors, poorly plastered walls and straw roofed houses. A certain distant relative was known to dry out his gunpowder on the mantlepiece on occasion, when it had gotten damp wherever else in the house it was usualy stored.

To fully appreciate the risk, you have an open peat fire burning away happily on the floor, and little more than 3 or 4 feet directly above it you had a wooden board/shelf fixed to the wall on which the gunpowder was put. Whenever anybody stirred the fire with the poker, a cloud or sparks etc erupted from it, some went up the lum, those that didn't tended to either end up on the floor, or the mantlepiece.

Thankfully he didn't blow anyone up, but the rest of the family threw him out of the house when he started making habit of it, and refused to stop it when they asked him to. :lol:

odd considering the interior was completely ripped out to create the flats, you'd have thought they'd have been found during the renovations.

Sorry you lot the full story is something more simple

A idiot took them home after dredging them up while fishing

Why he did not throw them back over the side I don’t no

Guest Anonymous

Why he did not throw them back over the side I don’t no

Well, we'd have to go through a similar hysteria when they were brought up again.. Maybe even worse, knowing It was the ones that were recently placed!..