Shetland Isles or just Shetland?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest posiedon
Graeme_Storey

I am not a Shetlander, but I still wince when people say 'the Shetlands'

Me too, it's odd though that "The Hebrides" sounds OK but the Westerns would sound ridiculous.

Guest posiedon
I tend to use Shetland for mainland addresses and Shetland Islands for outlying Islands, Bressay, Yell and so on. Scalloway and Lerwick I would therefore say were Shetland.
Correct!

There is only one Shetland and that is the mainland, the rest of the archipelago have their own names but can be termed "Foula" Shetland Isles, Mousa Shetland Isles et al.

I submit that Shetland is the correct name. Given that the name can be traced back to the likes of Hjaltland and Hetland one finds that the name forms are singular even centuries ago.

In Iceland, Faroe and Norway it is just the singular form.

I believe Iceland is Hjaltland, Faroe IS Hetland and Norway is, well, Shetland!.

Shetland, and the more we make the effort to use just that the more it will be recognised and accepted.

Sorry Posiedon, but I strongly believe that your argument is wrong.

Shetland just refers to all of Shetland in it's entirety.

:D

I tend to use Shetland for mainland addresses and Shetland Islands for outlying Islands, Bressay, Yell and so on. Scalloway and Lerwick I would therefore say were Shetland.
Correct!

There is only one Shetland and that is the mainland, the rest of the archipelago have their own names but can be termed "Foula" Shetland Isles, Mousa Shetland Isles et al.

I would say that is incorrect, Posiedon.

If what you say was true then people from Yell, Unst etc when setting off to Lerwick for their helly airents would say "I'm off to Shetland for the day", which they quite clearly don't. The main land of Shetland is called 'Mainland,' on every map I've ever seen.

The way I see it, Shetland, Shetland Isles and Shetland Islands are all interchangeable and mean the same thing. Personally I can't lose sleep over either one, but the term 'The Shetlands' has the same effect on me as chewing tinfoil.