Clive's Record Shop

Guest metallica man

Im not sure the problem of clives is just down to Tesco's, Amazon, Ebay etc. I think it is simply down to the fact that the whole street has a reputation for being overpriced, or just full of charity shops or places to eat!!!!! I havn't been in clives for a good while, and it was an excellant wee shop, but so is the music box!! But hey, I rarely even go on the street now, I shop online or shop when I go sooth, if I do go to the street, it is because I am after something specific!!!!!

The problem is people just dont want to pay high prices anymore, and where as we are being told that you can get 3 dvd's for £20 in clives now, this has not always been the case.

The street needs to be utterly re vamped!!! Franchises for shops sooth need to be seriously considered for here in Shetland, the cooncil needs to seriously look at the dying trend of shopping on the street, BEFORE other business owners go bust!!!!

Untill that time, and untill prices fall in line wi sooth, it still remains cheaper for me to shop online, even with postage added!!!!!

Lerwick is no different from any other town centre regarding prices. Smaller operators simply cannot compete with the big guys.

Especially when faced with customers who demand everything as cheap as possible whilst lamenting the closing down of local businesses....

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amazing how riled Clives getting shut down has got people, it was a great shop in it's day, but that day has been and gone. As for people on here and writing into the paper to say that the Shetland public is to blame, we should be ashamed blah de blah - we don't owe Clive, or anyone else for that matter a living. If I can get a DVD for £5 online and am charged £17.99 in Lerwick for it (true story) I'm damn sure what option I'll be taking, and I won't apologise to anyone either. :wink:

It's amazing how riled Clives getting shut down has got people, it was a great shop in it's day, but that day has been and gone. As for people on here and writing into the paper to say that the Shetland public is to blame, we should be ashamed blah de blah - we don't owe Clive, or anyone else for that matter a living. If I can get a DVD for £5 online and am charged £17.99 in Lerwick for it (true story) I'm damn sure what option I'll be taking, and I won't apologise to anyone either. :wink:

Quite right too but I think that is an extreme example you are using. Talking from a music perspective and discounting DVD's, PS3 games etc Clive's was competitive with online distributions and when you take into consideration the fact that Amazon and Play do not pay import taxes on their products he was doing a good job.

Shame to see it go!

This is too late for Clive's and a lot of other small shops but there is a move to stop UK internet sellers avoiding paying VAT by having a base in Jersey or one of the other Channel Islands. It is certainly unfair to other sellers and I hope it is stopped.

I hope that it isn't. It's the only way that us Proles can avoid tax!

:roll: You really think Clive's customers stopped shopping with him when his sister got involved?

It's only in the last few years that most of her other business ventures/problems have come to light so I think you are wide of the mark.

She's been there as long as I can remember, probably when it's been at its busiest. I just think your comment is below the belt, wide of the mark and I'm sure Clive would agree with that!

:roll: You really think Clive's customers stopped shopping with him when his sister got involved?

It's only in the last few years that most of her other business ventures/problems have come to light so I think you are wide of the mark.

She's been there as long as I can remember, probably when it's been at its busiest. I just think your comment is below the belt, wide of the mark and I'm sure Clive would agree with that!

:lik: