"Scotland's Census"

Kavi Ugl

I see a banner on Shetlink today and a bit in the news about "Scotland's Census" on the 29th March.

Whenever I have to fill in a form which asks for my ethnic origin I always write "Shetlandic" and incidentally the last time I had to do this just a few weeks ago I was pleasantly surpised by how many of the people alongside me were uncomfortable with feeling "pressured" to tick "Scottish".

If you are of the same feelings and opinion then I would encourage you to do the same - don't feel intimidated into ticking "Scottish" simply because the option of Shetlandic isn't there. To be honest it's actually discrimination.

You can do it by ticking the "other" option and writing it in there.

:)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

same here i don't like how they list scots,irish and welsh. but very rarely give english as an option. i hate the british other as im not another im english. so go for it put shetlander down if they excepted jedi as a real answer why not.

ghost its not just prying well yes it is but it helps with the way they provide services. thou is at least 10% out going by doctors patients lists.

funny wht people are scared of the census but not to bothered by the credit scoring companies now they know everything about you.

^^ They may use the information to provide services, but they don't need to. Between the Inland Revenue database and the DSS database the Govt. already has the most up to date and comprehensive record of the current "legal" population possible, and a great deal of information about every individual. Let them use what they've already taken, instead of making the population jump through hoops just to make their life easier.

Yes, credit organisations own your soul, and probably sell it frequently for you as well. Which is why I don't touch credit with a barge pole, and haven't done so for over a decade, so any details any of those have on me is so out of date now that its beyond useless.

There was a proposal last year to make this year's census the last. As has been mentioned above there are other sources available.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10584385

The BBC understands that the government is examining other ways of measuring population and other statistics than the survey of all homes every 10 years.

In future, data could be gathered from records held by the Post Office, local government and credit checking agencies - thought to be more effective.

Guest CyprusPluto

It is a legal obligation to complete the census, similar to jury service.

Not sure on the level of fine etc, but I've heard it's costing £500m. That's enough to run NHS Shetland for 10 years. What a disgrace.

I thought if you didn't fill in the forms you got fined up to £1000 maybe I got that wrong but I sure as hell can't afford a fine so I'll fill it in. :(

ive never filled one in on the basis that the effers have every single minute detail of my existance anyway, no been fined yet

50 odd million for scotland. the rest of the uk is done by others but it could easily cost that much.

they could make it simple like the earlier census but then they can't sell the data gathered. the hundred year rule still applies so no one will see your answers until your no longer in a state to care.

you would assume that they could get the info from there data bases but like anything goverment wise its not that simple.